2002 DTX Won't Start, Totally Stumped

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RBrock

Hello All,

I'm new to the PWC world, but have years of engine experience, just not in jet skis. I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here. Here is what I have an what I have tried. This will be a little long... sorry.

2002 Sea-Doo GTX 4TEC, 114 hrs, purchased non running. Once home I found that it had been apparently sunk as there was water in the mufflers, and intake. So here is what I have done:
Drained water from intake plenum
Removed and drained water from both the muffler and resonator
Removed and replace the fuel
Cleaned valves while intake was removed
Compression test, 190 ~ 200psi all cylinders
New plugs
Cleaned injectors
New fuel pump and filters
Replaced the ECU with one from a newer Sea-Doo, by-passed the DESS amplifier
Using Can-DooPro, tested all three coils, all fire with a nice bright spark
Tested all 3 injectors, all seem to function as expected
Removed air intake tube to make sure there wasn't a air supply issue
Replaced the MAP sensor believing that the original one was defective, found that the replacement read the same, therefore I replaced the ECU
I can hear the TOPS valve actuate when I plug the DESS key on to the post

So the engine does turn over, but will only occasionally will sputter, when it does sputter it sounds "normal"

When I initially plug the Can-Doo Pro on I get several alarm messages, I then clear and re-read the messages and I end up with:
P1680
P1681
P1682, the instrument cluster is screwed, I will replace that once I verify that it actually is worth the extra money.

After cranking I occasionally get a P0339, Crank Position Sensor not plausible message.

When I crank the engine with a test plug on each of the cylinders they appear to fire as expected, doesn't appear to "skip" a cycle. Also it doesn't backfire like it is not in time. Really acts like it isn't getting enough fuel, though when I turn it over with a spark plug out you can visually see the fuel vapor blowing out of the plug hole.

I'm lost.... Really seems like it should start, but doesn't. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks
Ray

Did you check fuel actual fuel pressure or did you do a leak down test?compression gauges have a check valve in them so any compression gets stored per day in gauge.i really have not touched a compression gauge on 4 strokes always a leak down.can you hear the fuel pump kick on during cranking?did you put some fuel into the cyl to see if it will run a few seconds off of that?

The fuel pressure when I first put the DESS key on was 42 psi before I replaced the pump. I replaced it because I saw uneven flow when I pumped the tank out. I did put some fuel in the cylinders directly and it didn't start. I don't know that I "hear" the fuel pump during cranking. I'll check that. I have not done a leak down test, I can do that and report back, I understand the compression tester will hold the pressure for every stroke. It acts like it has plenty of compression on the first stroke, but I'll do leak down and see what the results are...

Thanks
Ray

What does the injector spray pattern look like? You can pull the fuel rail and crank to see them spray.

When you say you changed the ECU from a newer one, what exactly did you replace it with? Many things changed over the years so ECUs tend to not work at all or not quite right when you switch years around and don't change all the corresponding wiring and sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back