2001 Utopia 185 Merc

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sndman11

Hello

Hoping someone can help me. I'm very new to boating, and I have purchased a 2001 Utopia 185 Merc. When on the trailer and hose hooked up, I have no problem hitting 6000 RPMs. However, when I put the boat in the water, it is very slow and will not go over the 4000 RPMs. When hocked to the hose and running, the water coming out of the pee hole is cold (so not heating up). Things that I have found online say to check the spark plugs, and I'm okay doing that, but what I don't understand is if it was the spark plugs would not do the same when hooked to the hose? I'm not a 100% sure how jet engines work, but if I have it hooked up to the hose and it runs fine but when in the water it does not.... that makes me believe that there is something wrong with the water going into the boat when on the water?

Please help!

Any time you rev an engine to wot with no load, you risk destroying that engine.

Is your engine EFI or carb'ed?

Several thing to check. Fuel filters and pumps. Are you getting the proper flow? How old is the fuel?

Spark plugs. How old are they? Replace with oem spec. While the plugs are out, check the compression. MUST be checked at wot. All spark plugs out. What about spark? All 6 firing under load?

Impeller to wear ring clearance-- ideally, less than the thickness of a dime. You will need to remove the stator to check clearance. Instructions at top of this section.

How jet engines work: this is NOT a jet engine. It is a marine water jet drive. The engine is taken from an outboard, with minor changes. Water is sucked in from below, accelerated out the nozzle. Newton's 3rd law of motion takes care of the rest.

Not real familiar with your engine, but those are some basics.

Hi Tim

Thank you for your reply. It is a carb'ed engine. I have done a compression test and all 6 came is between 140 - 145. Replaced the spark plugs anyway!

The wear clearance seems to be okay to me, and I had another person look at it and they think it seems fine. I took it to a local mercury marina and they said right away that it needs an entirely new engine, because parts are no longer available for it. They didn't even really look at it. When I was outside the marina I started to speak to the mechanic and he suggested that I do a compression test (Done), and then I should look at replacing the wiring harness as it is looking rough.

I've been trying to find a service manual for this boat, because I would like to see the wiring harness but have had no luck. As well, I've been trying to find a wiring harness but not really sure what one I need. Is there a website that I can go to and put in my engine SN and it would give me a bread down?

Thanks again for your help.

Hi Tim

Thank you for your reply. It is a carb'ed engine. I have done a compression test and all 6 came is between 140 - 145. Replaced the spark plugs anyway!

The wear clearance seems to be okay to me, and I had another person look at it and they think it seems fine. I took it to a local mercury marina and they said right away that it needs an entirely new engine, because parts are no longer available for it. They didn't even really look at it. When I was outside the marina I started to speak to the mechanic and he suggested that I do a compression test (Done), and then I should look at replacing the wiring harness as it is looking rough.

I've been trying to find a service manual for this boat, because I would like to see the wiring harness but have had no luck. As well, I've been trying to find a wiring harness but not really sure what one I need. Is there a website that I can go to and put in my engine SN and it would give me a bread down?

Thanks again for your help.

When you replaced the spark plugs, what was there condition? All equally black? Wet? White and dry? This helps diagnose what is happening while running.

Compression is good. That shows engine is good internally. Leaving fuel and ignition systems to examine.

Crowley marine, BAM Marine are just 2 of many sites that have parts breakdown.

When you replaced the spark plugs, what was there condition? All equally black? Wet? White and dry? This helps diagnose what is happening while running.

Compression is good. That shows engine is good internally. Leaving fuel and ignition systems to examine.

Crowley marine, BAM Marine are just 2 of many sites that have parts breakdown.

The sparks plugs were all equally black, and pretty dry. They seemed pretty normal to me.

Some of the other searches I have done, they are recommending to get the Carb cleaned. I'm not really sure how to do that and have not found anything that shows how to clean the carburetor on this engine.

The sparks plugs were all equally black, and pretty dry. They seemed pretty normal to me.

Some of the other searches I have done, they are recommending to get the Carb cleaned. I'm not really sure how to do that and have not found anything that shows how to clean the carburetor on this engine.

You should forget the "miracle" carb cleaners that you pour into the gas tank. They can be more harmful than helpful. They dilute the tiny amount of oil in the gas.

Carbs usually need removal an disassembly for complete cleaning. I would confirm good spark on all 6 before pulling carbs. Have you checked the insulation from the trigger base? Good or crumbly? Is your timing advance working correctly? Have you checked all the ground wires? Just because it does not wiggle, no guarantee of a good connection.

Service shop says you need a new engine? Can't get parts, but can get a new engine? This is the reason for this forum- so many shops don't know or don't care. They only care about how deep your pockets are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back