2001 Seadoo with 951 DI engine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly! I can't understand how two engines could go at exactly the same time the same way. The shore line of the lake is very very shallow and soupy. Very much like feels like quick sand. I gotta get this pump off.

If it is the motor, you need to put the pump back on, inorder to remove the C clip and then the drive shaft.

So I'm having the motor rebuilt. Tech says the top of the piston was pitted and the bearing was seized. Question... I haven't had the machine too long. Don't know what oil was previously used. I put Amsoil Interceptor full synthetic. Is it possible it was too "fine" for my older/tired engine?

No, Amsoil synthetic is a very good oil. In fact, I truly have used over the last 20 years the cheapest synthetic, in my area, often found at Walmart in ont Canada, it's shell nautilus. I have never blamed an engine failure on my oil, having survived 2 trips at Havasu in 90's weather, at 7700 rpm, and a long punishing track,(800 cc expert LTD) .
One of my racing buds uses Amsoil synthetic (800 cc, 200 psi, msd, 7650 rpm). He has an engine that can go through 2 or more seasons without an engine failure. Now keep in mind, we are on 40:1 premix, no oil pumps. Did your overheat beeper go off? Sure seems like a lean mixture cause, but for both of them, seems impossible.

Last edited:
Piston pitting usually means detonation from running lean. The extra force from detonation is hard on rod bearings.

Yeah I know the Amsoil is good. Again, had pretty much the same thing happen to two almost identical machines on the same weekend, so just trying to solve the mystery of what could have caused this. Then of course it just could have been coincidence.

Hey mikidymac, can you expand on that? Cause I’ve been debating that with some friends who say the local gas store sells old/bad gas but I’ve kind of dismissed it!

With a DI ski you really don't have to worry about it running lean like a ski with dirty carbs and that is what typically causes the pitting on the pistons known as detonation. You could have dirty injectors but this isn't as likely.

The most common cause of detonation and pitting is from too low of an octane on the fuel, this will allow the fuel charge to ignite on it's own too soon like on a diesel and acts like a hammer and pick on the top of the piston actually burning it away. Since your ski is stock the only way you could have fuel with too low of and octane is if it is old or bad gas since the octane lowers as the fuel ages. Running the wrong spark plugs can also be an issue and the DI skis take a special plug.

Only buy fuel from a reputable station that sells a lot of fuel so it turns over regularly. Your ski has to run a minimum of 91 octane!

That being said, it really shouldn't have caused any bearing damage. For the bearings, what oil are you running?

So my engine is ready to go back in!
Stupid question: I want to put fresh gas in the tank. How do I easily drain the gas from the tank. Do I have to syphen it? I want to put fresh oil in it too.
And is there anything else you suggest i change before we pop the engine back in? Filters, etc....
Thanks!

So my engine is ready to go back in!
Stupid question: I want to put fresh gas in the tank. How do I easily drain the gas from the tank. Do I have to syphen it? I want to put fresh oil in it too.
And is there anything else you suggest i change before we pop the engine back in? Filters, etc....
Thanks!

Yep, you have to siphon it all out, there's no "easy" way per se. I used one of those cheap-ass siphon tubes with the bulb in the middle that you squeeze to get it going and I ziptied the tube to a straightened-out coat hanger so I could get it all the way to the bottom of the tank. I disconnected the fuel fill neck from the tank and did it via that hole. It took a while with that 1/4" tubing so I'm sure you could do it faster/better, if you have a hand pump or powered one.

I don't know that you necessarily need to replace the oil. I don't know what model you have, but on mine (to replace a cracked oil tank) I had to pull the exhaust to access the oil filter area, to clamp the lines and disconnect, then pull the tank out from the front. Then you'll have a great time trying to re-secure the oil tank with the rubber straps, not to mention reinstalling the exhaust. So if you can avoid that I would. If you do it, replace the oil filter while you're at it. The manual says to do that annually (lol!)

If you want to you can replace the fuel filters?

Howto: DI Fuel pump removal/disassembly and filter replacement

Go on Amazon and look up Gas Tapper 12v transfer pump. The only way to go. You won’t regret it.

when i had the fuel pump out, the hole was big enough to stick my arm and the syphon tube down all the way to the bottom. you need an extra set of hands to help you do it. it was a slow process, but it got done.

Go on Amazon and look up Gas Tapper 12v transfer pump. The only way to go. You won’t regret it.
Is this the $100 model pump? I've been checking. Next size up is about $190. I need one of these as I am getting real tired of siphoning fuel with a cut piece of garden hose. LOL

I bought this:
W8sunjs Universal 12V Heavy Duty Electric Fuel Pump Metal Solid Petrol 12 Volts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L8IHM9K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_ttlH1RUK6yJSo
And an replaceable cartridge fuel filter as well. Put alligator clips in place of the plug it has and a few ft of auto fuel hose on each side with filter before the pump. Put one hose down the filler neck other hose in gas can and hook up to battery. Worked pretty good on my 2 skis so far.

Is there a baffle or something in the filler neck that would stop the hose from going down into the tank?

Can't speak for your model but my 96's didnt but the hose would get hung up on occasion just did a little wiggling and twisting and would eventually make it in the tank

I did the garden hose siphon for about 6 gallons and lost prime. Not want get a mouth full of fuel I opted to use the pump. It is slow but very efficient and controllable. I pulled the fuel pump and am planning on changing the filters.

I did the garden hose siphon for about 6 gallons and lost prime. Not want get a mouth full of fuel I opted to use the pump. It is slow but very efficient and controllable. I pulled the fuel pump and am planning on changing the filters.
Just like me slow and sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back