2001 Sea Doo Challenger Mercury 210 HP no spark

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

2001Jetter

Hello, I know there is another thread on this, but it's locked for replies. I have the same situation, I have no spark. I went to the dealer and got new plugs, they gave me NGK BR8ES plugs, I am looking any my book says NGK BUZ8H?

Anyways, still have no spark.
1. Will these plugs I got from the dealer work okay?
2. How do I know if it's the stator, the cap and rotor, or the coil?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Hello, I know there is another thread on this, but it's locked for replies. I have the same situation, I have no spark. I went to the dealer and got new plugs, they gave me NGK BR8ES plugs, I am looking any my book says NGK BUZ8H?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Cap? Rotor? Don't have 'em. Coil? You have 6.
Stator? Maybe. Check the resistance of the 3 pairs of wires coming out from under the starboard side of flywheel. I don't remember the spec, but the 3 readings should be nearly the same. Check all your ground wires. There are several. No green connections allowed.

Find your black w/ yellow stripe wire on top of the engine. Trace it to make sure there are no nicks or shorts. This is the kill wire. Also check your emergency kill switch. The rubber cap can fail to fully depress the plunger and that can kill the spark.

I don't know about your spark plugs. I always use the ones specified.

Cap? Rotor? Don't have 'em. Coil? You have 6.
Stator? Maybe. Check the resistance of the 3 pairs of wires coming out from under the starboard side of flywheel. I don't remember the spec, but the 3 readings should be nearly the same. Check all your ground wires. There are several. No green connections allowed.

Find your black w/ yellow stripe wire on top of the engine. Trace it to make sure there are no nicks or shorts. This is the kill wire. Also check your emergency kill switch. The rubber cap can fail to fully depress the plunger and that can kill the spark.

I don't know about your spark plugs. I always use the ones specified.
Thanks for the reply. So, I went and got the plugs that the book calls out. I was checking the connections, and noticed a black short wire (about 6" long) with a ring terminal on the end, that was just hanging out. I could not find where it goes, it looks like a ground for something? pics below. It's right below the starter solenoid on the starboard side of motor. Any ideas where this goes to? I am assuming this is my issue with no spark?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG-2925.jpg
    IMG-2925.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-2926.jpg
    IMG-2926.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-2927.jpg
    IMG-2927.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 15
Thanks for the reply. So, I went and got the plugs that the book calls out. I was checking the connections, and noticed a black short wire (about 6" long) with a ring terminal on the end, that was just hanging out. I could not find where it goes, it looks like a ground for something? pics below. It's right below the starter solenoid on the starboard side of motor. Any ideas where this goes to? I am assuming this is my issue with no spark?

Thanks again.
Not certain this wire is the issue, but-
The plate that holds your ignition coils is mounted to the block with rubber mounts. No sure grounding there. So there are ground wires. This may be one of them.

I'll look into that. I did take it to the dealership, they said it's a bad starter. My concern is; When I turned it over, the flywheel turned, so wouldn't a bad starter mean the flywheel wouldn't turn? Thanks

I'll look into that. I did take it to the dealership, they said it's a bad starter. My concern is; When I turned it over, the flywheel turned, so wouldn't a bad starter mean the flywheel w

Details matter here. Let's be sure we are on the same page.

When you "turned it over", was that with the starter or by hand on the flywheel? If using the starter (the normal way), it sounds like your dealer is loading the parts cannon. A dead starter usually means the flywheel will not turn. But there is a lot to check before replacing your starter.

Hi, well, initially it turned over with the starter, with the key. I am waiting to see what they find out if they install a new starter. I am also doubting that it's the starter, but they claim it is.

Tim 75..........it's been a while but you were exactly right. This dealer I went to were complete idiots. They put in a new starter, along with numerous solenoids that they kept frying. They returned the boat to me without it running, not knowing what was wrong with it, and a $1000 bill.

I took it to a Mercury marine mechanic, they found out it needed two new switch boxes and a new stator. It runs fine now.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Disconnect your kill switch. They are notorious for failure. I spent over $1,000 chasing the no spark gremlin when all I had to do was disconnect the kill switch. Good luck. Hope this is your problem (free to fix).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back