2001 RXDI won't start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

msilva4

newbie here so thx in advance ( I've read most threads with similar issues )
I have a 01 RX that won't start I've done a bunch of things but won't start , it cranks just fine but will not run , I'm out of ideas , did not go in water last year or this
pretty sure fuel was bad m took it all out including the pump , cleaned filters put it back in NG had already done new plugs and battery , checked fuel pressure it was low , rebuilt the pump installed it checked pressure and all good 26 at key insertion 106 when cranking , I have spark , great compression , checked fuses , made sure all wiring is plugged in , , checked injectors and pulse to injectors all good have gone , hoses are not clogged I've checked flow to injector block including the return
I'm not getting any codes on start up , I do not have computer to plug in to check the system , I've owned this machine for many years and it's been great
I called my local Seadoo dealer they told me they won't even look at a machine that old ( kind of ironic your in the service business but won't service older machines , they did the same with a Buddies ATV and he had purchased it from them )I've called several other service places and don't even get call backs

Any help would be appreciated I'm In NJ if there's even anyone around that's willing to give it a shot I'm willing to drive it even if it's bit of a distance and more than willing to pay for the service

Sounds like you have checked the main DI items. You could try sending the air and fuel injectors off for cleaning in case they are clogged. Are you seeing good fuel spray from them?

yes , injectors are clean and good spray , checked 3 times both the air and fuel air ones , I have auto mechanic that leases space from me so we were able to do those tests pretty easily

POPPS Why can't a fuel pump on DI be rebuilt as long as you get the correct rebuild kit?
Msilva I'm about to start testing the same issue. You might consider new battery and make sure fully charged. I had that issue and new battery actually got mine to turn over even though old one was fully charged and worked week b4 even though it was 2 to 3 years old. Now with new battery mine starts up but runs rough as if not getting enough fuel or correct mix. About to start checking all air and fuel pressures to rail myself. Keep me posted

POPPS Why can't a fuel pump on DI be rebuilt as long as you get the correct rebuild kit?
Msilva I'm about to start testing the same issue. You might consider new battery and make sure fully charged. I had that issue and new battery actually got mine to turn over even though old one was fully charged and worked week b4 even though it was 2 to 3 years old. Now with new battery mine starts up but runs rough as if not getting enough fuel or correct mix. About to start checking all air and fuel pressures to rail myself. Keep me posted
Battery is brand new
I haven’t checked the air pressure but if I put a little fuel in the plugs it runs for a few seconds until gas runs out
If the air mix wasn’t right would it run by dumping fuel in the plugs ??

Fuel pressure is driven by air pressure. If you are getting 107 fuel pressure, then air pressure is good.

DI fuel pumps cannot be rebuilt. Some have had luck cleaning them but there are no rebuild kits available outside of filter replacements.

I am thinking he replaced the fuel.pump and/or filters in the fuel tank assembly unit.

We know he has good spark, compression and air/fuel pressure. Short of the air Injectors or fuel injectors not functioning properly. I would assume a sensor is malfunctioning causing computer to improperly adjust and causing no start condition or computer malfunction? Is there anything else I am missing?

I am curious msilva did your ski during compression test on mag cyclinder shoot smoke out plug hole during drown mode cranking and other didnt? I am wondering if this is normal on these skis as I never received response on my prior post.

Mwhitlock , thx for the response and your reply of

"I would assume a sensor is malfunctioning causing computer to improperly adjust and causing no start condition or computer malfunction? Is there anything else I am missing"

makes sense but is there a way to check this ???

I am thinking he replaced the fuel.pump and/or filters in the fuel tank assembly unit.

We know he has good spark, compression and air/fuel pressure. Short of the air Injectors or fuel injectors not functioning properly. I would assume a sensor is malfunctioning causing computer to improperly adjust and causing no start condition or computer malfunction? Is there anything else I am missing?

I am curious msilva did your ski during compression test on mag cyclinder shoot smoke out plug hole during drown mode cranking and other didnt? I am wondering if this is normal on these skis as I never received response on my prior post.
I actually I wasn't there when the compression test was done but I'll try and find out

Mwhitlock , thx for the response and your reply of

"I would assume a sensor is malfunctioning causing computer to improperly adjust and causing no start condition or computer malfunction? Is there anything else I am missing"

makes sense but is there a way to check this ???
Spend ~$400 on a CanDooPro and you can check the computer for codes and faults.

Need some assistance on how these fuel pump assemblies work. Is the return fuel line connected to the supply line in anyway or is this just a direct dump back into the canister?

I think the valve on top is done for. I can hook a air compressor directly to the sliding tube that the fuel pump outputs to and air come full force back in the three vent return holes around sliding tube with the hoses both disconnected.

I even put a gauge inline with both supply and return lines and getting hardly no pressure on the gauge.

I looking to get some input before I go out and try and find a used assembly or new assembly if this valve at top is shot..

Really appreciate some help on this! Thanks!

Need some assistance on how these fuel pump assemblies work. Is the return fuel line connected to the supply line in anyway or is this just a direct dump back into the canister?

I think the valve on top is done for. I can hook a air compressor directly to the sliding tube that the fuel pump outputs to and air come full force back in the three vent return holes around sliding tube with the hoses both disconnected.

I even put a gauge inline with both supply and return lines and getting hardly no pressure on the gauge.

I looking to get some input before I go out and try and find a used assembly or new assembly if this valve at top is shot..

Really appreciate some help on this! Thanks!
I have never had one apart, but that does not sound right. You should be getting pressure in the discharge line. I know there is some flow coming back from the fuel rail but I am not sure if there is any internal relief in the fuel pump housing or if your top is totally busted.

I even went as far as putting the fuel pump assembly in a container of fuel direct to a battery trying to check if maybe the bushings was leaking fuel at the fuel pump output but I seen tons of fuel dumping back threw the return holes which lead me to using my compressor to try and confirm.

I believe when I had on the compressor i tryed to dead head the gauge for a second and was losing pressure.

Hopefully someone who has disassembled and knows these will chime in.

I appreciate you getting back to me though... This is driving me crazy and want to get this back on the water asap without spending 800 bucks..

I'd try to find someone with a Candoo system and not purchase one. I've had the Candoo for a couple of years and my issues get solved by good old fashioned troubleshooting.

Look at the troubleshooting guide for the DI in the manual. It gives you a list and tells you what to check.

I'd start by checking the connections on oll of the sensors. Print out the troubleshooting guide for component testing and go down the list testing at the main plug with a multi-meter. Make sure all of your connections are correct as some plugs get swapped. I'd pay particular attention to the plugs on the mag side of the throttle bodies. I even run down each wire to the plugs just to make sure.

The Rectifier can cause weird problems. My ski wouldn't take throttle at all. Just idle in the water and sometimes it would work fine. I replaced the rectifer and the problem was solved.

Unplug your gauges from the Computer.

Check your grounds. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back