2001 GTS 717 Cranks but wont start, please help!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doxidad

Hey guys, I am new to the forum and am looking for some help. I just recently purchased a used 2001 GTS with the 717 Motor and single carb. When I purchased it, and a week later when I took it out, it started instantly. I ran it for like 10 minutes then it bogged down and died at idle when about to tie it up to my friends boat. I havent been able to get it started since. I checked compression and it was around 125, not sure if this is the reason but it ran before. I checked for spark and am getting a blue spark with new plugs as well. I cleaned carb and the plugs are wet so I think its getting fuel and I siphoned and refilled tank with fresh gas to be 100% sure. I checked fuel lines and replaced filter as well and even tried starter fluid and get nothing. I have noticed a few times after it sits and I go to start it, it sounds like its gonna start and then nothing. Then each time after that it just cranks but no sounds like its gonna start. Anyone have any advice?

Oh and I am getting 2 beeps and checked the few fuses attached to the ECU and they were good. Battery is new too and fully charged on a battery tender.

It's going to be a little hard for us to guide/help you without knowing a little history on the thing. What has been done to it? Has it been sitting up? How long? What color are the fuel lines?. How many hours are on the engine?. I'll start by saying your compression is on the low end of runability.

Is there fuel in the fuel filter?
Did you forget to turn the fuel on?
Have you tried the reserve fuel option?
As JJinSC said, are they the original fuel lines (grey tempo)?

You say you have spark, and when you do lighter fluid still no bang(are you putting lighter fluid into the carbs directly?)?

Did you do anything to it? ie reconnected hoses possibly backwards?

Remember, it needs air, fuel, compression and spark for combustion. You have to be missing one of these.

Is the fuel bad? maybe your throwing water from the tank into the engine.

a few things to start with I guess.

I think you are right that it could be compression but it ran before and nothing has changed so I dont know.

To answer the other questions, yes the filter is full of fresh fuel and so are the lines as it squirts fuel when the throttle is squeezed. It gets fuel on either normal or reserve and the lines are the tempo lines but have already been replaced and look clean on the inside. The tank was siphoned and filled with fresh even tho I think the other gas was fine as it ran nicely for 10 minutes in the water on it. I tried both starting fluid in the carb and in the spark plug holes and nothing either way. Might have to pay for a rebuild but was really hoping I didnt need to.

Are both cylinders at 125psi? I don't know for sure, but I thought your engine new is supposed to be 150psi. I would think it would still try to start at 125.

What happens when you press a little bit of throttle (little like 5-10%) while starting (incase idle is set to low)?

Are the spark plugs wet? if so, does it look like gas or oil or both?

A little puzzled about the tempo lines. Are you stating that the original tempo lines were replaced with new tempo lines?

So you have verified it is getting fuel and even tried with starter fluid. That eliminates fuel. That leaves compression and spark. We already suspect compression. Check/verify spark.

Yes both cylinders were 125 or maybe a hair under, it ran before so I didn't think it was compression but it must be unless it is something else like timing. I have tried the throttle in just about every position and get nothing. The plugs look to be wet with oil and gas.

Oh and the lines are Tempo lines but look to have been replaced with new tempo lines because there is no gunk and all of the ends have screw type hose clamps and not the crimped on type. I have checked spark twice and get a spark on both plugs. It must be compression, just wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions like timing or electrical or something dumb. Since it started instantly before and all of a sudden does not anymore, I was hoping it was something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back