2001 Challenger 1800 240EFI Tps

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamestr624

Hey everyone have been reading through this forum for the last few days. My buddy just bought a 2001 seadoo challenger 1800 240 EFI he can out with me the other day and it was smoking like crazy on start up and low rpm smelt like raw fuel. So I told him to bring it by and I would take a look. I fist discovered all the oil injection has been deleted so he has to pre mix the fuel seemed weird to me and start doing some research and now I see why it was removed so I moved on checking the TPS it has been replaced already looks to be a aftermarket on the factory plug was cut off different colour wires and its but spliced together. I tested it and got 2.8v - 3.6v @ wot so I took it off and tried moving it manually could only get it down to .8v and max 4.8v so we called the dealer and the TPS is $948+ tax here in Canada I couldn't believe it. Also I checked the voltage coming into the sensor I believe it was the orange wire and I'm only getting 5.1v from the ecu so I don't understand how we are supposed to have .4- 7.45v if the mac is 5.1v. well I was at it I checked both port and starboard temp sensors I got 650ohms on port side and 450ohms on starboard side I was reading and believe they should be closer to 1000. If someone can help point is in the right direction. It seems like there is no other option for the TPS. You think someone would make aftermarket for the price of them I'm in the wrong business lol. Anyways thanks in advance for the help hopefully we can get it sorted out

When using premix it will smoke more at low rpm. The oil injection system is set to 100:1 at idle and ramps up to 50:1 at wot. So if your mixing 50:1 it will obviously smoke more at low rpm.

You may have done it but did you check for a good battery and charging system?

"TPS it has been replaced already looks to be a aftermarket"
If this true, I and i'm sure meany others on this board would very much like to know the part number if any.

Thanks for the info about the oil injection. I'll tell him to keep it at 50:1 and expect some smoke.
So today we spent all day on the phones sourcing a TPS that wasn't $1200 after tax and found a guy who had a few used ones that he tested sold it to is for $100 came back Installed it now we have 0.3v-7.5v with new TPS well new to us boat fired right up and seems to be smoking quite a bit les. taking it down to the water tomorrow I still can't believe the price of these TPS tho and were still worried because it is a used one so how much time do we have on that. So I'm still going to search to see what I can find we have a local parts place here that though they had something very similar so I'm going to take the old one down to them and see if they can find something. I'll see if I can add a picture of the one that was on the boat I have a funny feeling it was shorting out inside because wires looked pretty rough and the TPS it self looks to have some bubbling from heat. So I'm thinking maybe I was getting the 5.1 v on orange due to a voltage loss at the TPS due to a short. But I'll keep you posted about possible aftermarket info I can find on the sensor or what the local parts guy say

@Hawk111 Yea for sure at least I'll know there's oil getting in there. It's my buddies first boat and I could definitely see him not putting oil in it lol.

@illru Here are some pictures of the old sensor you will see the Charing on the wire and the sensor after looking around more of the boat I think this boat might have had a fire the latch for the sun pad is melted looks burnt and a few other things anyways. Here are the picks there no numbers of any kind but I find the wiring colors interesting they have Blue White and Red all the genuine Merc ones I have seen is brown with black blue and orange so that made me think it could be aftermarket and it doesn't seem to stick out as much as the mercury ones

Attachments

• IMG_20200723_221053.jpg
    IMG_20200723_221053.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20200723_221056.jpg
    IMG_20200723_221056.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20200723_221059.jpg
    IMG_20200723_221059.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20200723_221100.jpg
    IMG_20200723_221100.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 30
@illru Think I may have just found a TPS Vey similar I'm not sure about the factory plug on I don't have one to compare but sure looks like the same sensor check this out it's made by Lucas part number is 84925A they are made in the UK. I found one new for £66.69 I think I might order one to test. They are for Land Rovers so should be available around here I would think. Going to do some more digging tomorrow

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200723-223104.png
    Screenshot_20200723-223104.png
    429.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20200723-222728.png
    Screenshot_20200723-222728.png
    997.4 KB · Views: 41
@illru Think I may have just found a TPS Vey similar I'm not sure about the factory plug on I don't have one to compare but sure looks like the same sensor check this out it's made by Lucas part number is 84925A they are made in the UK. I found one new for £66.69 I think I might order one to test. They are for Land Rovers so should be available around here I would think. Going to do some more digging tomorrow
Well remembering the oil is easy. Just leave a few jugs in there. I thought, that you knew about the potential risk of the nylon gear getting stripped out for the oil pump. Anyway the system has been deleted so why am I still talking about this? Lol.

A throttle position sensor (TPS) is a sensor used to monitor the air intake of an engine. The sensor is usually located on the butterfly spindle/shaft so that it can directly monitor the position of the throttle.

An alternative TPS for the older 240 Mercs have been somewhat of a holy grail, at least for myself. I have not seen someone try to use anything but a new ~$500 Merc part, or a good used one till your post. If you manage to find one that sweeps correctly and lives happily on our motors then you will save a lot people the anguish of buying such an expansive tiny hunk of plastic and wire for 20+ year old boats.

I spent several years looking for one. The second picture tells you all you need to know. It's a 6K Ohm TPS. The one in our Merc engine is 12K ohm. It's an oddball, and doesn't exist. I also know that the pic you posted is a Jag/Land Rover unit. I was hoping it would have been the savior for us.

@Dr Honda I see. And yea they were frame range Rovers and jags. I also found that they make a adapter plate for those engines the 4.2 V8 jag because there in the same boat with there sensor so someone has made a adapter plate to put a modern TPS on that style of housing. Sounds like Merc might be running out of these so hopefully there's some option adapter plate might work I'll see what I can find and let everyone know.

There may be some OLD tps floating around. They have a round connector. But otherwise the same. 15 minutes with wire cutters and soldering gun and mine has been working for years.

Thanks for the info about the oil injection. I'll tell him to keep it at 50:1 and expect some smoke.
So today we spent all day on the phones sourcing a TPS that wasn't $1200 after tax and found a guy who had a few used ones that he tested sold it to is for $100 came back Installed it now we have 0.3v-7.5v with new TPS well new to us boat fired right up and seems to be smoking quite a bit les. taking it down to the water tomorrow I still can't believe the price of these TPS tho and were still worried because it is a used one so how much time do we have on that. So I'm still going to search to see what I can find we have a local parts place here that though they had something very similar so I'm going to take the old one down to them and see if they can find something. I'll see if I can add a picture of the one that was on the boat I have a funny feeling it was shorting out inside because wires looked pretty rough and the TPS it self looks to have some bubbling from heat. So I'm thinking maybe I was getting the 5.1 v on orange due to a voltage loss at the TPS due to a short. But I'll keep you posted about possible aftermarket info I can find on the sensor or what the local parts guy say

"found a guy who had a few used ones that he tested sold it to is for $100"

I am in need of a TPS and Id rather spend $100 first before spending over a thousand. Could you share the phone number and location of that guy with me?? I'd give him a call to see if he might have more "in stock"

He was in Ancaster, ON it's called Marine One Power Sports their number is (905) 304-5313
Hope this helps I think he had a few of them Laying around.

Hello,
New to the boating community and new to the seadoo, and I'm so sorry for hijackings into the forum, but we need help with a 1800 challenger with a merc efi m2 we pick up...the boat start right up, smoke, doesn't shut down, but when we took it to the water, it goes into idle forward and reverse, but if you give throtlle it wont go into plane, new spark plugs, new port side sensor...any ideas i would really appreciated and again I'm so sorry for hijacking into the forum. Thank you in advanced

Hello,
New to the boating community and new to the seadoo, and I'm so sorry for hijackings into the forum, but we need help with a 1800 challenger with a merc efi m2 we pick up...the boat start right up, smoke, doesn't shut down, but when we took it to the water, it goes into idle forward and reverse, but if you give throtlle it wont go into plane, new spark plugs, new port side sensor...any ideas i would really appreciated and again I'm so sorry for hijacking into the forum. Thank you in advanced
Shift wight to the front. Or test with minimal people on board.
Check your throttle linkage. Is it going WOT when pushed all the way fwd?
Check your compression. Tired motor?
Pull your pump apart and check your swirl, stator and wear ring for damage. Maybe there's debris in the intake tunnel.

Just a few of the easier things to do off the top of my head before digging into the power head.

Hi illru, thanks for answer, i tried the boat with just me and my son, they check the compression it was 98psi all around, don't know if that's the cause maybe, but the boat start right up with not problems, and when you said pump is the bottom of the motor right?

Thank you very much

Hi illru, thanks for answer, i tried the boat with just me and my son, they check the compression it was 98psi all around, don't know if that's the cause maybe, but the boat start right up with not problems, and when you said pump is the bottom of the motor right?

Thank you very muchthose

Thank you very much
Those numbers are real low. If you trust the readings then it's time for a rebuild. If you don't I'd get a second opinion. Or pick up a compression tester and do your own. "Plugs out wide open throttle."

Silver lining is that if the cylinders are consistent within just a couple of PSIs of each other then you have a very excellent rebuildable core.

I'm sorry I don't have better news for you.

Wow, so even do the boat turns on at first try and idle perfect doesn't mean that it would be ok...i thought it would be more like a car that if you have low compression it would not even start...Thank you for keeping up...Really appreciated.

Won't work.

Yes... it's physically the same part. BUT... the Cummins TPS is a 12K ohm pot, and the Lucas version is a 6K ohm pot.

Hello, got an update on the compression and hope someone can help with this other situation, I decided to go ahead and rewired this boat since i guess the other person did something wrong in my opinion, did another compression check and came up to 126 psi all around, I download the manual for this engine and started checking the wiring diagram to find out that couple of wires are not even connected, but here is what i got stock, the manual said wires with colors coming out of the ecu, well i don't see the same colors from my ecu wires, i even call mercury and they said it was the right ecm for the engine, but this other guy put the cable together and left couple of them loose, i attach couple of pictures and hope someone can help me, I like the boat and would love to stay with it a least for a few months here in Florida.

thanks in advanced

Attachments

• 20201123_184415.jpg
    20201123_184415.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20201123_184403.jpg
    20201123_184403.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 14
Hello, got an update on the compression and hope someone can help with this other situation, I decided to go ahead and rewired this boat since i guess the other person did something wrong in my opinion, did another compression check and came up to 126 psi all around, I download the manual for this engine and started checking the wiring diagram to find out that couple of wires are not even connected, but here is what i got stock, the manual said wires with colors coming out of the ecu, well i don't see the same colors from my ecu wires, i even call mercury and they said it was the right ecm for the engine, but this other guy put the cable together and left couple of them loose, i attach couple of pictures and hope someone can help me, I like the boat and would love to stay with it a least for a few months here in Florida.

thanks in advanced
126 sounds lot better! Before ripping into the wire loom look up inside your intake tunnel for any junk stuck inside. Anything hanging out right in front of the impeller? Junk in the pump can keep you in the hole.

Also if your boat still has the hydro-surge grate and is missing tinns then more then likely they broke off and got sucked thru the pump. Inspect the inside of the pump for damage.

I check the pump nothing in there, everything looks good, i want to put everything together the way it should be from the factory, they even put a positive wire for the fuel pump straight from a 12v live wire so it was all the time running so thats the other reason i want to get all this wires clean and put them on the right spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back