2000 Speedster Project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Igetwet

So i finally have some time to start a thread on my project boat. I picked up this 2000 Speedster SK from another member here with no motor. i've always loved the hull design and look of these boats, so when i had a chance for a project one i jumped on it. the poor boat must of sat in salt water uncovered for quite some time destroying gel coat and seats, and almost the pump. heres how she was when i first got her.

529d66ee.jpg

Didnt look too bad but as i found as i got into her more she needed/needs more and more work here and there. i acquired a 240 motor that had one cylinder that was a little scuffed. the block and front half of the motor went to Jay Smith Racing Engines where all 6 were bored +.015 and the front half was cut for more power. Jay has toyed with these motors before for bombadier and he found the best power gains for the sportjet motor by only opening the front half more, versus opening all the ports and having a motor that revs to the moon to make power. i might also have the heads shaved but i will get the motor together as it is now to see what kind of compression numbers i get to see how much if any shaving i can do before id need high octane fuel. i'm not gonna be running race gas, premium is pricey enough in 40 gallon form. whenever i have a little bit of time i will update on progress. and if anyone has ideas for any customization do give input. i plan on making her one cool hot rod boat by the time im done.

I got the motor from another member that was selling it on here. It was completely disassembled already. I have almost all the parts I need for it now so I should be putting her back together soon. Gotta have her on the water this summer!

Hydro turf is definetely one of the first things I'll be adding. Not sure what color or style yet tho. New seat covers for all the seats are on their way from Keith at seadooupholstery.com. The boat right now is pretty much just a shell. The pump is in it but it will probably have to come out again. I pulled the fuel tank to get all that nasty old gas outta there. I sure wasn't going to take a risk with some old fuel in a new motor. Also cleaned out the back real good. In the process right now wet sanding the exterior gel coat to get a good shine back.

4cf849a1.jpg0f527048.jpg13c0c359.jpg

when the boat sat in salt water it really did damage to the entire jet pump. left some pretty deep pitting in the aluminum. the impeller was in ok shape, a few dings on the blades but the lines from machining around the outside diameter of the blades is still there. it was a little rusty, very light surface rust, so i stuck it in the bead blaster with a polishing media and it came out great. filed off the some of the badder dings and shes good for now. i figure once i get it in the boat and figure out what rpms i'll be running with this motor and impeller, then i can send it to impros and have them repitch it for more top end and they can weld it back to new shape.
b5d3f6ce.jpg509b4560.jpg
the pump housing was so bad i had to take it all apart and sand and fill the pitting with jb weld. i dont know why the surface of the intake is so rough but i sanded her smooth. you'd think anywhere there is water flying through you would want it to be a smooth surface. finished housing pictures are in the next post.
2a598d8b.jpg

Attachments

• 29d6adb6.jpg
    29d6adb6.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 26
  • 81060bbc.jpg
    81060bbc.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 24
update

Well a lot has been done since the last update. New house, baby, and the almost never ending wisconsin winter made it hard to get things done on this project. But as it sits now the motor is in it and its almost ready to fire up. I dont have many pictures but i'll post a couple of how rough it looks. I have just about all the parts just need time to get them on.

null-2.jpg
before wetsanding and buffing

more to come

fuel pickup fix

One of the breather tubes on the fuel pickup busted off so instead of buying a pricey new fuel pickup i came up with this fix.

null-5.jpg

I picked up a 1/4" barbed fitting from the hardware store, drilled the hole in the pickup a little bigger to accomodate fitting and pressed it in with some gasket maker around a couple of the barbs to make a good seal. if this was a piece that fuel would be in constant contact with this would not of worked but being just a breather it should do just fine.

null-6.jpg

null-7.jpg

I was wondering if you ever got it done or not.

Hopefully, you will get to take it out this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back