2000 seadoo rx millenium no spark

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmacular

Hey guys. New to the seadoo forums but been an iboats guy since 2006.

I just picked up a new ski 2000 seadoo rx millenium with the 951 motor. Motor and jet pump completely replaced and I have conpression of 140 and 142. However I have no spark. Checked all the grounds on the ski, I'm getting 2 beeps at the key when I put it in. The ski will turn over strongly but nothing. Weve tried running new grounds and checked wires (still tracing). The manual states faulty mpem for no spark condition but ive read conflicting bc of the key beeps working. Just looking where to go next.

Thanjs

You can take a reading on the trigger coil without removing it. If you have any questions I have a 2000 Millennium RX outside. I went through the ski at the end of last year. I replaced the engine as well. I had a good bottom end and I just did the top end on it and of course went through everything. Fun ski but I need to paint mine. I call it "ugly". It's really not ugly but it doesn't shine like I"d like. Ha ha

RX Seat Black Tip (2).JPG

Perfect guys thank you my guy was thinking stator and thsts pretty pricey way to start lol. Ill test the trigger. I have the manual on my phone so I think it tells me the values there.ill report back

Ok so apparently trigger coil is within specs according to my mechanic. We found a white wire jumped together powering both coils. 2 whites coming in 1 coming out and pig tailed together. Switched them to separate wires, choked and tried to stsrt and got a loud backfire and a burning smell. I gotta assume we had spark to fire? But it still wouldn't start. He claims it started then he changed the battery and it won't start. Where too next?

This is the one I use. I really need to get another one so I don't have to switch. You can leave it hooked up and run the engine. Pretty handy

Spark Plug Checker.jpg

Ok great news. Got it to run. The grounds on the block sanded all down replaced found a loose and corroded wire at mpem for coil wire number 1. Fixed we have spark and it ran great for 2 days. However now it won't go over 5600 rom at 45mph but ran 7k at 62 the previous 2 days. Any guesses or should i make a different post? I know its not related. compression is good at 135/145

Last edited:
Man I am jealous at that speed. Hmmm...5600rpm. Makes me think of rave valves. Did you replace your spark plugs. Sometimes.... that's the problem strange as it may seem and simple. Do the easy stuff first. I gotta get my skis out on the water. I spend so much time working on skis I don't have time to ride them all. :) Good Luck!!

Man I am jealous at that speed. Hmmm...5600rpm. Makes me think of rave valves. Did you replace your spark plugs. Sometimes.... that's the problem strange as it may seem and simple. Do the easy stuff first. I gotta get my skis out on the water. I spend so much time working on skis I don't have time to ride them all. :) Good Luck!!
The plugs I was running on were brand new. They were a little bit oily so I swapped them with some backups I had on board to no change. Lost all my holeshot speed. Was thinking maybe something sucked into the jet of carb! I'm not familiar with the RAVE but I read a little bit about it.

The speed might be too fast lol. Got her to 64 on glass, still makes my butt pucker a little bit :) great arm workout haha. Thanks for thr response. Waiting for rain to move out so I can look at it.

Yes that rain can sure mess things up for outdoors. Looking kinda rainy here today.

This is something that happened to me on a 1996 GTX, I did some work on the rave valves, put some slotted ones in and tweaked everything on that system. I was trying to get my ski to keep upw ith my wife's. I hammered the throttle and took off... about 45mph pop and the ski would not run very well at all. It finally cleared up some and I rode it for an hour. I was not getting full on top speed. When I got home I found a melted piston on the rave. Best I could tell is when I installed the rave the valve was dragging on the gasket. I assume it wasn't opening all the way. .From then on I always checked the freedom of movement of the valve on installation. It's easy to check the raves so I'd check them first off. Take a look at the Water control valve and make sure it isn't leaking.

Good Call on the Carb... you never know what's going on with the fuel. It's easy to get stuck on other things. Good Luck !!

Yes that rain can sure mess things up for outdoors. Looking kinda rainy here today.

This is something that happened to me on a 1996 GTX, I did some work on the rave valves, put some slotted ones in and tweaked everything on that system. I was trying to get my ski to keep upw ith my wife's. I hammered the throttle and took off... about 45mph pop and the ski would not run very well at all. It finally cleared up some and I rode it for an hour. I was not getting full on top speed. When I got home I found a melted piston on the rave. Best I could tell is when I installed the rave the valve was dragging on the gasket. I assume it wasn't opening all the way. .From then on I always checked the freedom of movement of the valve on installation. It's easy to check the raves so I'd check them first off. Take a look at the Water control valve and make sure it isn't leaking.

Good Call on the Carb... you never know what's going on with the fuel. It's easy to get stuck on other things. Good Luck !!
Ok so when the ski was at my guys place he ssid he cleaned up the raves and they were looked/working well. Going to look at carbs next the seats, needles and jets are all new so I dont know. I now have this issue on both my RXs. 2000 and 2002 one stuck at 56-5800 rpm and the other at 6krpm but a little sluggish on holeshot compared to prior. Maybe figuring out one will shine some light on the other lol. Will report back

Very cool that you have 2 of the same skis. I did work on 2 GTXs (1996/1997) and they kept performing the same way as well. When I made adjustments and they both did the same thing that was a confirmation that "what I did" caused it. So... from that experience, I'd say take a hard look at your needles and seats and your Pop-Off adjustments. My wife's 1997 GTX would not accelerate past 37mph till the prop got unloaded. I lowered the pop-off and it wouldn't accelerate past 27mph. I finally replaced the needles and seats and went with the recommended springs. To follow up, I started at 23psi pop-off and worked up to 33 psi) The skis ran better at the higher pop-off setting, the transition was smoother also. When I put all new stuff in there the Pop-Off raised to 37psi. Both skis had more crisp throttle response and the transition was better. Basically they rocked compared to how they ran previously. Hope this helps... good luck !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back