2000 Seadoo GSX RFI Starting Issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JDrakes

I ran into my first issue with the skis I just bought a few weeks ago. My 2000 GSX RFI won't start. :( I have began my troubleshooting and I am thinking it is the starter that is the cause. I was getting the clicks at one point when trying to start it, but now I am getting like a short noise, not 100% sure how to explain it. I guess the closest word to it would be a grinding noise. Its sort of like errrrrrrr. After that the dash goes out. I put a trickle charger on the battery overnight and still the same thing. I tested the battery and I am getting 12v out of the battery. I tried shorting the Starter solenoid, same noise. Checked the voltage at the solenoid and getting 12v there as well. Seems to me like the starter must be bad at this point. Any thoughts? Prior to it not starting it was running fine all weekend. We came in to switch some kids out for rides and would not start. Also if the starter is at fault ok to get one of these?

or should I spend the extra money for this?

I would like to keep the cost as less as I can as with just buying these and everything that has come with them has drained my account a little, but I do understand you get what you pay for sometimes.

Let me know what you think. I did start taking things apart to remove the starter last night and was going to see if I could troubleshoot the starter itself tonight. Also anything else I should try?

You should get the battery checked under a load at your local parts store, its free. Just because it has 12v doesn't mean it is supplying the amperage needed to start the engine.

You should get the battery checked under a load at your local parts store, its free. Just because it has 12v doesn't mean it is supplying the amperage needed to start the engine.
Ok I will do that also today. I should have done that yesterday to be sure, but didn't think about it until later on after I started tearing things apart to get to the starter.

So went to Autozone and checked the battery sure enough bad cell within battery. Bought a new battery and put it in, still same issue. Has to be the starter at this point right? What's the easiest way to get the starter out? I see the starter that is in there is an SBT high torque starter. I thought I saw someone post that those are junk?

You can test the starter by jumping the solenoid posts with a screwdriver. This will send 12V direct to the starter. IF you suspect the cables you can use jumper cables with your ski battery and connect directly to the starter.
IF your starter is actually bad rebuild the OEM one or get a used OEM one and rebuild it. Kits are on ebay.

Any aftermarket black starter is junk and don't waste your money including the SBT. They are all from China now.

Ok thanks. Finally got the starter out tonight. It looks like the Bendix is coming out too far and stripped the end of the knurling on the shaft. I am thinking that is the noise I am hearing when trying to start it. I will try and find an OEM one and rebuild kit. Thanks for the advise.

Anyone know what the tooth number on the bendix should be for the 2000 GSX RFI? It has the 787 motor in it. The bad starter I pulled had 9 teeth, but as I am looking for a new one I am seeing a trend of 8 teeth for my model. Why would this be? Should I go with the 9 tooth since that is what I pulled out?

I don't mean to be a pain, but I am getting frustrated with this. All the starters I see are 8 tooth for my model. How the F do I pull out a 9 tooth starter!? Would the 9 tooth starter do damage to the flywheel in any way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back