2000 RX 951 Carb - Blown Fuses

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dJC

I just picked up my friends 2 jetski's, as they are broken. They are identical 2000 RX Mil.ed. 951 carb.
Jet Ski #1 - Beeps, cranks, no start. Found the rear cylinder to be shot with 0 compression. No worries moving on...

Jet Ski #2 - No Beeps, Battery fully charged, and found 15A rear fuse blown next to coils and solenoid. Replaced fuse, again no beep, but did hear a fuse/relay click from front when new fuse put in. Found the front fuses under compartment. Pulled fuses, and found from top to bottom. I do not know which fuse(s) blew when I was re-trying it.
5A - Blown
15A - Blown
20A - Blown
7.5A - okay
5A - okay
3A - okay
They do have the service manual for the ski's and will be getting it today or tomorrow, or I'll d/l a free one later today, if available. I would like to know what these fuses are linked to tho. I have read some posts already with similar symptoms but curious on others thoughts of plans of what to attack first, stator, mpem, etc. Remember I do have an identical one, the blown cyl, to rob parts if necessary OR do I rob the electrical one to fix the bad cylinder, if easier??? I don't know. They do want one to work for the weekend at least. And we'll worry about the other later. Also, a lil more information on #2, the no start/power started when it filled with water and wouldn't start, they discovered it was flooded, drained it, and still no start, and they replaced the 15A fuse as I did.

Please ask any questions and I'll answer or test as needed. I am familiar with jetski's (mostly polaris), a former European & ASE mechanic, I do have tools and test equipment... Just looking for your insight from those who play/work with these more often than I do.

Thanks

A little update...
Replaced all blown fuses, starting with the rear 15A. While inserting front fuses from bottom to top, the 15A REAR fuse blew when inserting the 20A front fuse. Replaced other fuses. Front fuses are still intact. Removed stator plug (5 wire, yellow combinations @ front of engine) re-tried 15A rear fuse, blown immediately. All front fuses okay. Just now discovered, the fuses are labeled in front. VTS (20A) is the one that triggered the 15A Rear to blow.
Any testing I can do for VTS until I get the manual?
And, with the 20A removed, no fuses blow. When arrow up the VTS, hear a solenoid/relay click and no movement, expected. With fuse removed, console powers up, but no start...only beeps to turn off. Stator plugged in or out, same result.
**Update**
Reset tether key, beeped twice, started to crank. Finally started :) but 20A VTS fuse removed still. Will wait for manual or suggestions to test later - Time to go golfing :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well... sounds like the VTS is shorted out. DO NOT put in a new fuse. A bad VTS can kill the MPEM. Pull the VTS unit, and check it out.

**Update**
Removed the VTS today...Wasn't too bad but interesting none the less.
Also d/l the manual online - still d/l and saving manual
Found that the VTS fuse should be 7.5A and not 20A. Thought that was a little strange to have a 20A fused inline with a 15A...but oh well. Also discovered when the Red/Purple/White & Black Connector is connected the fuse does blow. Unfortunately, while looking at the wiring diagram, it just shows VTS Module, and the Black(ground) feeds directly to the rear electrical box and to ground. Also, opened motor assembly and found standing water in case, with the motor corroded and seized. Disconnected the motor, tested with jumper wires and no movement. I guess I'll shop for a Nissan Window Motor ;-)
I will check the manual on any tests to verify module is bad, and power and grounds
Currently it's raining and I don't feel like getting wet.

**Side Topic** Blown Piston Jetski - wondering what advise I can get on rebuild vs used engine. Can I just do a top end kit?? Who makes the best one. I do have pics, the rear piston looks interesting and pitted it self pretty heavily.

You can find pics at my album http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg207/jcgodlewski/2000 SeaDoo RX 951/

I just picked up a 2000 RX 951 carb myself yesterday with a fuse issue. If you pull the key while running (like you just fell off), it shuts off but a fuse blows. Replace the fuse and it will run all day. Problematic to change a fuse in the water when you aren't near shore! Any ideas? (If you ask which fuse, I'll have to double check. I don't specifically recall)

DJC - I've not seen a pitted piston like that before. It looks like a piece of metal broke free and was bouncing around inside the chamber. I would be worried if it was a piece of metal that it made it past the rings and is sitting in your crank case waiting to cause issues. You will end up tearing down both skis to make one good one. I would choose the best hull then make your decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back