2000 islandia hasn't been started in 8 years...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mckay04

So I found this boat sitting out in a field while at work and fell in love with it. Finally found the owner and worked out a price and now its sitting at my house. It has the 240 efi merc in it. It's been sitting for about 8 years and to my knowledge was not prepped for that after the last use. He said it ran great when he used it last. The upholstery is shot but that will be fixed after I get it running. It cleaned up pretty nice, but for some reason it will not upload my pictures. Any tips from the pros here as to anything specific I should be doing before I try to fire it up?

240 efi is a self draining engine so you shouldn’t have had water trapped anywhere that could of frozen and broke something. So I suggest you remove the plugs. If they’ve been in there a while I’d spray some penetrating oil the day before you don’t want to break them off in the head. Get a oil squirt bottle and pour some 2 stroke oil in each cylinder. Put fresh plugs in. Drain the fuel tank Replace the fuel filter, drain the vapor tank and replace the water fuel separator make sure the oil is filled on the motor tank . Connect the battery turn the key to the on position then back to off 5 times then hit it and see what happens. Don’t forget.. these engines need water on full blast before starting them. And you shut the motor off then shut off the water

No worries about damage from no winterizing. Sitting out and/or unused, the fuel system will be nasty.

Wow, you did a great job cleaning it up! :)

The feature I like most of all, and I'm a big fan of deck style boats, is the front kiddie pool you have a yacht complete with it's own pool! How neat is that? :)

Dollars to donuts the fuel cap o-ring is rotten and water gets in the fuel tank. I could be wrong but if not you'll want a new o-ring on the fuel cap. And the fuel tank will have water in it, don't want that pumped into the injection system.

Last edited:
240 efi is a self draining engine so you shouldn’t have had water trapped anywhere that could of frozen and broke something. So I suggest you remove the plugs. If they’ve been in there a while I’d spray some penetrating oil the day before you don’t want to break them off in the head. Get a oil squirt bottle and pour some 2 stroke oil in each cylinder. Put fresh plugs in. Drain the fuel tank Replace the fuel filter, drain the vapor tank and replace the water fuel separator make sure the oil is filled on the motor tank . Connect the battery turn the key to the on position then back to off 5 times then hit it and see what happens. Don’t forget.. these engines need water on full blast before starting them. And you shut the motor off then shut off the water
Ok thank you! I got new plugs and filters and battery. And mercury gear oil. About to head out and start on it!

No worries about damage from no winterizing. Sitting out and/or unused, the fuel system will be nasty.

Wow, you did a great job cleaning it up! :)

The feature I like most of all, and I'm a big fan of deck style boats, is the front kiddie pool you have a yacht complete with it's own pool! How neat is that? :)

Dollars to donuts the fuel cap o-ring is rotten and water gets in the fuel tank. I could be wrong but if not you'll want a new o-ring on the fuel cap. And the fuel tank will have water in it, don't want that pumped into the injection system.
Thanks for the heads up about the o ring! A pressure washer and a little chlorine went a long way on that boat! Cant wait to see if she runs! Should be today...

I got her to fire up! It smoked a good bit at first but that was expected seeing as I put 2 stroke oil in the cylinders before I turned it over. It turned incredibly smooth with the plugs out. I also took the VST off but it was spotless inside. After that I took it to the lake for a test run. It ran great. After it warmed up it didnt want to start so I'll probably change out the temp sensors and see how that does for me

I got her to fire up! It smoked a good bit at first but that was expected seeing as I put 2 stroke oil in the cylinders before I turned it over. It turned incredibly smooth with the plugs out. I also took the VST off but it was spotless inside. After that I took it to the lake for a test run. It ran great. After it warmed up it didnt want to start so I'll probably change out the temp sensors and see how that does for me
Yea while you’re back there just change both temp sensors out make sure all your hose clamps are nice and tight, change your stator and gear oil,And you’re good to go happy boating bud!

Amazing! Tell me where the dang drain plug is for the drive when you find it please!

For the gear box= From underneath. On the black intake tunnel, there are 2 slotted screws. You will need to remove both. Drain pan please!

Stator- Need to remove the stator and drain. All the oil should be blue or green. Not creamy. Creamy means water in the mix and new seals.

There are detailed instructions at top of this page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back