2000 gs weird bogging issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbigboomer

Hi all, just bought a gs 2000, great shape, had it looked at by a certified bombardier dealer, spent $180 just to get the ok and make sure there were no problems. They took it for a 20 minute test drive could not find anything wrong with it.

I took it to my lake today, and after around 20-25 minutes of use and everything working absolutely perfectly, when I would go full throttle for a period of 10-15 seconds the engine would start bogging down. I can tell when its about to bog because it slowly loses full power, then all of a sudden bogs and goes in and out of full power, like its struggling to get gas. If i do not let go of full throttle, eventually it bogs to the point where the engine dies and i have to start it up again. The weird part is that if when i feel the engine start to bog i let go of the throttle for a second or two, the problem completely goes away until the next time I go at full throttle for 10 - 15 seconds.

I made sure the engine was not overheating by opening up the top and feeling it, it was hardly hot.

I was told that it may be something with the gas tank and to open the cap up so air can get in, and see if that makes a difference. It didn't.

If anyone can help, I would really really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Daniel

That opening cap is to see if tank is over pressureized. Do your pre-ride dump of the separator fuel bowl. knowing your carbs and fuel system is clean and flowing properly is very important on old motors. A clean fuel system and carbs will go along way to keep you from needing a new motor premateurly. You need to confirm either too rich or too lean a mixture. What you experenced at the lake was the result of an overly rich engine. That is why it only started when you held the throttle wide open, no choke. It needed the air coming through the wide open throttle plates to counter the richness of the fuel sitting in the bottom of one or both case halves. Normally, once it fires up, it takes awhile to burn off the extra gasoline and start running good. This is called a bog or the motor is bogging. It also explains the fouled sparkplug. It probably was not too much oil that foulded that sparkplug, but too much oil and gasoline. A rich condition, when bad enough, will wet out the sparkplug(s), once out of the idle zone near the beach or ramp, the motor becomes loaded up with fuel and oil. You go to accellerate and it bogs along for a few seconds, clears out enough, then takes off like a bandit. That only happens when that fouled sparkplug drys off and comes back to life. It is often mistaken for a lean condition by novice tuners. Put new plugs in and ride at full throotle for 20 secounds, then keep the throtle at full and pull off the safety lanyard and ride to a stop and release lanyard. The take the plugs out and report either dry or wet. If dry, turn out the LSA 1/8th turn, and see if that cures. Wet means doing a on ski PO test. Bills86e

I'm a little confused, it starts up fine, i dont need to hold the throttle wide open I don't believe i have any fouled sparkplugs either.... As i said, for the first 20 minutes it runs beautifully.

A plug chop could determine your problem, you would need to go to snipes corner in the tech section and match up what you plug looks like. You could have a clogged
filter in the carb (item 22) of this fiche: http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche...oem/Seadoo_PWC.asp?Type=18&A=69&B=19&Action=O
The Pop Off test could help by telling you if it passes the pressure test or if you need to re-build your carb, with a kit and new needle & seat. Bill

first thing i'd do, is swap out the grey fuel lines and install 15ft of 1/4in fuel line from Autozone. Next, at same time, i'd pull the carbs off and go through them, cleaning the internal filters and cleaning out the excell pump. Finally, i'd check the volts at battery holding a steady 5500rpm, the reading should be between 13.5-14.5, if in the 12's or 15's, then replace the rectifier..:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back