2000 Challenger (14ft) Revs High at Idle, Zero Thrust

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Braandt

Hi guys, longtime lurker here! I've tried researching solutions for my problems, but I can't find anything relevant. Hoping you can help me!

I've got a 2000 Challenger that has suddenly developed a very serious issue. When I fired it up for the first time this season, the port side engine revved to 3500 rpm at idle and sounded like it was bouncing off a rev-limiter despite not being given any throttle. For comparison the starboard engine started up and behaved just fine.

I initially hoped that this would fix itself once I started to run the boat for a bit longer out on the lake, but once it was fully in the water it became apparent that there was no thrust being produced from the engine. When put into drive (at idle), the engine would rev even higher to 7000 rpm (still sounding like it was bouncing off the rev limiter). Defeated, I limped my way back to the launch ramp.

Once I got it back on the trailer I found no blockages in the intake (lake was pristine anyways). I also pulled the plugs and tested to see if the engine was still connected to the impeller (which thankfully it still is). The impeller itself also still seems in good condition too. Now normally at this point I'd take it into the dealership... If I had one. I live far up in northern Canada and my nearest Sea-Doo dealer is thousands of kms away, so it looks like I am gonna have to do this myself. I'm mechanically inclined, but I'm no expert for jet boats. So far I'm thinking this maybe a wear ring, but it seems they don't have the reputation for failing this suddenly. My other thought is that there may be some deteriorated sealant somewhere between the hull and pump.

Summary: One engine revs high + gives no thrust, and I don't have a dealer to fix this. :(

I've had this boat for 3 years now without issue, so I guess its about time something failed. I'm hoping you guys can tell me is what part is broken so I can order it and fix my boat ASAP for the rest of the season. Any advice/guidance is hugely appreciated!

Thanks,
Aaron

First thing you need to get under control is the revving. It's kinda a pain but if you reach under the air box there and see if the carb has fully returned to idle first. I'm thinking the throttle cable has't returned back home. I would reach under and manually rotate the carb back to idle, then start it WITHOUT using the throttle lever and see what you get. Then shut it off, move the throttle lever fully forward, then return it back to "idle" position and restart the boat. If you goes back to bouncing off the rev limiter, reach under the air box again and start the process again. You'll be down to either the throttle shaft is getting stuck or the throttle cable is hanging up some where. Both are easy to diagnose once you disconnect the throttle cable from the carb. I just went thru the same ting on a guys Challenger. Turned out the throttle shaft was sticking.

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you so much for the reply! Hopefully this rectifies my issue, seems simpler than I thought it would be.
I'll be sure to try this on Monday and report back with my results!

I'm with racer. The 3500, jumping to 7000 rpm sounds like the throttle is stuck. Going from "N" to "F" changed the limiter, and that's EXACTLY why it sounds like it was bouncing off the limiter. Since there's no thrust, (and no load) it may only be stuck a little... but verify the carbs are getting back to the stop screw.

FYI... if you need to get a runaway under control... pull the choke.

As far as no thrust.....

Did you look behind the boat at all?? If you did... did you see ANY signs that the pump was spinning? (water moving/churning) I would start with the obvious. So, look in the water intake, and make sure a squirrel didn't build a house in there. But, I'm thinking that the PTO splines may have just stripped out. So, if you don't see junk in there... you will have to take the pump, and drive apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back