200 Hour supercharger rebuild kit

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JABRAY7701

Hey there fellow jetski'ers. I have a question about the 200 hour kits for the supercharger rebuilds. I installed the 200 hour kit when my machine hit the 100 hour range. I might have been a little under or over, can't quite remember. Either way, I am at 300 hours now and it should be time to do another rebuild but being half way through the season, makes it a challenge to do this right now. Does anyone have experience with pushing the limits on these kits? Like could a person get 250 hours or more or is that too risky?

I would say most operators on the forum are going to say 250 to 300 hours with the new 200 hour kit it would be okay not to take it out of service till after the season. The 200 hrs is only a recommendation.

You are pushing your luck in my opinion. Most don't actually make it to 200 hours unless it is done within 2 years. BRP didn't change anything when they changed it from a 100 hour to 200 hour kit. It's not just 200 hours, it's 2 years maximum and most people I know don't ride 100 hours per year.

It helps to treat them nice which will help extend their life but I see plenty that the bearings fail and it locks up the engine, breaks gears, does enough damage that the engine has to come out to clean everything up.

You are pushing your luck in my opinion. Most don't actually make it to 200 hours unless it is done within 2 years. BRP didn't change anything when they changed it from a 100 hour to 200 hour kit. It's not just 200 hours, it's 2 years maximum and most people I know don't ride 100 hours per year.

It helps to treat them nice which will help extend their life but I see plenty that the bearings fail and it locks up the engine, breaks gears, does enough damage that the engine has to come out to clean everything up.
I was pretty certain the 200 HR kit had different quality of parts in it to make it stronger and last longer. They have different part numbers I'm sure. The supercharger from new, it took me like 7 or 8 yrs to hit 100 hours before I rebuilt it. I sure don't ride it as hard as I used to but still don't want to be dealing with a mess. I know some people who have gone over by 30 or so hours but nothing more than that. I think most people go by the hours and not the time.

I probably rebuild one every few weeks that didn't make it to 100 hours before it failed but almost always more than 4 years old.
Not a better quality of parts in the 200 hour kit, only thing different was the part number.

How you ride I believe makes a difference, lots of air & unloaded revs is going to stress it.
As an old sedate rider, I went 10 years ~73 hours, but you are gambling.

Mine failed and I'm in the process of getting the SC rebuilt. Should I do anything more than change the oil, filter and new plugs? It's a 2005 with about 200 hours on it. This is the first rebuild on this ski.

This is interesting to read. Back in 2013 ish, We did the SC rebuild with the 200 hour kit. Now, we're probably into the crafts for about 8-10 hours a year, but we're now well into 2022, and it hasn't had an issue.

That said, I don't sit and rev it to hell and back when it's out of the water (only to get water out of the system after a lake day), and i only let it idle for about 1.5 minutes when I flush it out with fresh water and salt-away (not in that order) after a trip through the ocean. It gets an oil change and basic service every year, and sits garaged in between lake trips/seasons.

2017- is only a inspection after 200 hours, and would be a on demand rebuild per the inspection.

Granted this is a manufacturer interested in selling jet skis, but it would seem they would have some liability issues with premature supercharger bearing failures.

SMB bearings nylon reinforced caged bearings have a life expectancy of 12 years and most of their premature bearing failures occur from scalled races from lack of maintenance and heat.

It would be nice to hear from ops of any post 2017- supercharger failures, and older skis with the 2017- supercharger kit installed failures.

Last edited:
The 1630 superchargers are not rebuildable per BRP. They are replace only until somebody makes a kit. The design is identical to the previous version and I have seen quite a few failures on mostly 2016 and 2017 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back