$200 95 XP Craigslist Find

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC87SS

Not sure if this is really going to turn into a resto but since it might figured this would be the place to share my story.

Matt posted a link to a Craigslist ad in my area.
SeaDoo & Trailer $300 no title.
I offered the guy $200 and picked it up the next day. My original plan was to part it out and use the trailer in my yard and garage for moving and working on my skis. Started looking it over and other then being disgustingly dirty is was in pretty good shape. If only i could find the original owner and get a title.

165.jpg

168.jpg

166.jpg

Cleaned it up enough that i could at least put my hands in there without getting grossed out.

176.jpg

181.jpg

173.jpg

I pulled the plugs, fogged the cylinders, greased the PTO & carrier bearing & turned the pto by hand. It turned real easy, i got all excited so i put a battery in and spun great with the plugs out. Checked spark and it looked good. Had 135 PSI in both cylinders so i shot some premix in the holes, put in new plugs and turned it over. Fired right up and sounds good, the exhaust boot is shot and filling the hull with smoke.
The video!

http://vid169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/MC87SS/SeaDoo XP/VIDEO0007_zpsqf7vm8qp.mp4

Forgot to mention the best part, while cleaning i found the registration with the last registered owners name and address. I am going to contact him and try to get a title. If that happens i will most likely sell it rather then parting it out but who knows i may like it and decide to keep it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started getting the lost title and power of attorney forms filled out as well as a letter to the previous owner requesting his cooperation and explaining everything. Going to send it to him certified mail tomorrow and see what happens.
Cleaned it up a little more tonight, looking better. Any guesses on the 1st thing that needs to be done?

182.jpg

183.jpg

184.jpg

185.jpg

186.jpg

Fixed the video link.
Planned on doing all that as well as removing the gas and oil tank to clean them, new oil filter and injector lines. Jet pump fluid change, replace exhaust boot and flush all the water lines.

MC, what cleaners did you use to get the inside of the hull to look that good? I didn't think the inside of my skis where too bad, but after seeing how clean you got that XP, my don't look as nice as I thought.

. Any guesses on the 1st thing that needs to be done?

My guess..gas lines first need replaced. they are white, everyone talks about the need for replacements. Also, why the issue with the title? I guess its of no concern to me since GA is a no title state, which is very nice. I do have registration, just no title. Why is it such a major deal in Florida?

A hundred dollar ski is titled the same way a $100 thousand dollar car or boat is here. If you don't have it the ski is only good for a private lake.

Fixed the video link.
Planned on doing all that as well as removing the gas and oil tank to clean them, new oil filter and injector lines. Jet pump fluid change, replace exhaust boot and flush all the water lines.

I might be wrong but I think the 95 xp gas tank is elegible for recall, ie: free new white one... worth calling your local dealer with the HIN....

edit: your tank actually looks like it was replaced, its cleaner than 90% of the ones I see, at least on the outside...

MC, what cleaners did you use to get the inside of the hull to look that good? I didn't think the inside of my skis where too bad, but after seeing how clean you got that XP, my don't look as nice as I thought.

super clean or purple power (both available at wally world for about $8 a gallon) spray it on with a windex bottle, let it sit for a few minutes, then spray again and let it sit for 2 minutes then hit it with some high pressure spray and maybe a cheap toilet brush, maybe repeat 1 more time to get the stubborn spots, it will make the bilge look great ! And as an added bonus it works on cleaning grime off parts, fuel tanks, and the stains on ceramic tile in the kitchen that 409 doesn't take off.

A hundred dollar ski is titled the same way a $100 thousand dollar car or boat is here. If you don't have it the ski is only good for a private lake.

yip, and the FWC DOES check to see if your reg tags are current, although i've never had them actually look at the HIN but I think its pretty serious if it doesn't match.

I used a 3 step process, most will cringe at the 2nd step but if done right it works well.

1st step: Purple power in a pump sprayer, amazing how well it softens up the nasty stuff. Pressure washer nozzle on the hose and spray like crazy then drain it all out. I used a siphon hose to get the water out of the areas that won't drain out the plug.

2nd step: Liquid pool chlorine (or bleach) diluted in the pump sprayer, spray it on then hose it right off. DO NOT let it sit more then a min or so. This will clean the stuff off the exposed styrofoam and help whiten the tanks, fiberglass. Yes i know it will corrode things if left on but step 3 fixes that.

3rd step: Dawn dish washing liquid squirted liberally in the hull, on the hoses, everywhere. Spray water and watch the suds take over. Splash the soapy water around by lifting the trailer tongue up and down or drive it around the block a couple times then drain. You will have to keep adding water as the water drains so the suds disappear. The dawn cuts the oil and neutralizes / washes off the chlorine. Drain and let dry.
For the siphon hose I took a 10' piece of 1/4" fuel line and added a short piece of steel line to the one end, that keeps the hose at the bottom of the hull to allow almost all the water to drain. Use an old towel to remove the last remaining water, it will most likely still have oil sludge mixed with it so don't use the wife's good beach towel.

yip, and the FWC DOES check to see if your reg tags are current, although i've never had them actually look at the HIN but I think its pretty serious if it doesn't match.

Part of the transaction i didn't share yet.
An hour after i picked up the ski i got a call from the guy i bought it from. FWC had called him to tell him it was illegal to sell a vessel without a title. He offer to come pick it up and refund the money unless i was willing to allow the FWC officer come verify the HIN matched the clearly visible registration numbers. I had verified the ski was not stolen by looking up the registration numbers before i bought it so i was ok with them coming to inspect it. The FWC officer was very nice on the phone and told me they have a division that looks at Craigslist ads for vessels without titles and looking for stolen ones. He came out yesterday and verified everything was ok and told me he would help me get the title if i wanted. I asked what would happen if the HIN came up stolen, he told me it would have to be confiscated but i would not be in any trouble. He also said it would take a day or so to have it picked up, translation i would have time to get everything off it i wanted before they took it.
I asked many questions and the lesson i learned from this, if you want to buy a ski without a title for parts don't do it. Purchase the engine from the person and just carry the ski home to remove it. LOL

I used a 3 step process, most will cringe at the 2nd step but if done right it works well.

1st step: Purple power in a pump sprayer, amazing how well it softens up the nasty stuff. Pressure washer nozzle on the hose and spray like crazy then drain it all out. I used a siphon hose to get the water out of the areas that won't drain out the plug.

2nd step: Liquid pool chlorine (or bleach) diluted in the pump sprayer, spray it on then hose it right off. DO NOT let it sit more then a min or so. This will clean the stuff off the exposed styrofoam and help whiten the tanks, fiberglass. Yes i know it will corrode things if left on but step 3 fixes that.

3rd step: Dawn dish washing liquid squirted liberally in the hull, on the hoses, everywhere. Spray water and watch the suds take over. Splash the soapy water around by lifting the trailer tongue up and down or drive it around the block a couple times then drain. You will have to keep adding water as the water drains so the suds disappear. The dawn cuts the oil and neutralizes / washes off the chlorine. Drain and let dry.
For the siphon hose I took a 10' piece of 1/4" fuel line and added a short piece of steel line to the one end, that keeps the hose at the bottom of the hull to allow almost all the water to drain. Use an old towel to remove the last remaining water, it will most likely still have oil sludge mixed with it so don't use the wife's good beach towel.

interesting approach,,, I just used purple power, clean water, then half a can of CRC-656, but your system appears to work just fine.. especially on the tank....

here's my old xp with purple power and water only... not quite as bright so i'll concede your method works better.

168.jpg

Part of the transaction i didn't share yet.
An hour after i picked up the ski i got a call from the guy i bought it from. FWC had called him to tell him it was illegal to sell a vessel without a title. He offer to come pick it up and refund the money unless i was willing to allow the FWC officer come verify the HIN matched the clearly visible registration numbers. I had verified the ski was not stolen by looking up the registration numbers before i bought it so i was ok with them coming to inspect it. The FWC officer was very nice on the phone and told me they have a division that looks at Craigslist ads for vessels without titles and looking for stolen ones. He came out yesterday and verified everything was ok and told me he would help me get the title if i wanted. I asked what would happen if the HIN came up stolen, he told me it would have to be confiscated but i would not be in any trouble. He also said it would take a day or so to have it picked up, translation i would have time to get everything off it i wanted before they took it.
I asked many questions and the lesson i learned from this, if you want to buy a ski without a title for parts don't do it. Purchase the engine from the person and just carry the ski home to remove it. LOL

wow,, I had no idea,,, thanks for sharing... I totally want that job !

That's odd.. How did they KNOW he sold it an hour before? Did they pose as a buyer?and when he said he sold it they told him who they were?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked it up at 9am Tuesday, since Monday was a holiday i assume they just assigned it to an officer around that time. The officer was calling him to set up a meeting to inspect the ski and let him know its not legal to sell. Just so happens i had already pickup it up.

Gee! USA is quick on the gun! Took me three weeks to get my title in Canada and no one ever checked anything! A simple email and it is done! They probably checked the registration number on the boat against some database.

Benji.

Sounds like getting a title in FL is about the same as TX. Here, you can look up the registration number, and it gives you the last registered name and address.

I used purple power and elbow grease on the inside. On the outside, in the footwells, my ski had rust stains from sitting outside. I used a 50/50 mix of muratic acid and water. The stains came right out.

Congrats on your find, and good luck with the title.

Had a little spare time today so i drained the 6 gallons of gas from the tank. It was some nasty smelling stuff and looked even worse. The oil tank was 1/2 full of Green oil, what brand is green? Removed both tanks for cleaning. Did a little more cleaning in the hull now that the tanks are out, i'll post pictures tomorrow once all the water drains.
Going to pull the jet pump to clean/check/change the oil.
That will be about all i do until i get the title. I would hate to spend all the time changing the fuel lines, oil filter, etc and putting it back together just to find out i have to part it out.

Surprisingly I only found a couple things in there.

211.jpg

Must never had much service done. I find stuff after few times out. Hope I never run into a bolt in there that breaks a wrench! On my truck yeah, not a Sea Doo.

Here is the pics of the cleaned hull and tanks.

Just a reminder:
Before:

166.jpg

After:

230.jpg

231.jpg

232.jpg

233.jpg

Also cleaned up the outside some just to see how it looks.

234.jpg

The original owner received the certified letter on the 21st with all the paperwork to fill out for me to get the title. So far no response back. I will give it another week then send him a 2nd request. May have to go knock on his door to get any results.

LOL, why not have the inspector that came out get it done on the back side? The previous owner does not have to help you in any way if they want to be a jerk. I would avoid that transaction if there was another way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back