1999 Sea Doo GTX RFI - Where can I get a @!*# Starter that FITS?!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LIBoater

I am seriously starting to lose the will to live... I have the new engine ready to go back in the ski, but I thought I'd refurb the starter motor while it was so easily accessible (ever wish you'd never started something?!). VERY long and expensive story short I have tried multiple variations of refurb kits, only to find that the bearing was pretty much toast, so I bought a brand new started from DB Electrical, only to find that, whilst it "fits" the bracket at the back doesn't line up with the mounting bolt... I have tried multiple variations of butchering various parts to make a complete starter that works and fits, all to no avail.

Rant over. So to my question: Does anyone on this forum know where I can get a new or high quality refurbished, starter that I can simply bolt in to the engine and get going? Sooooooooo frustrating!

Attachments

• IMG_5914.jpeg
    IMG_5914.jpeg
    401.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5912.jpeg
    IMG_5912.jpeg
    368 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5913.jpeg
    IMG_5913.jpeg
    312.2 KB · Views: 19
I bought one of the refurb kits from there (which didn’t fit)… probably my fault… I’ll give them a call, but slightly reluctant to spend a(nother) $200+ on something that may not fit… again… the issue seems to be either that:
- the teeth don’t match up (needs to be an 8 teeth model)
- the teeth match up but the bracket on the back doesn’t align with the threaded hole on the underside of the engine
…will let this thread know how I make out

I checked with OSD… out of stock … I did speak with World of Poweraports and they told me the part number is: 278001936… price is $239.99 plus shipping, so I assume it’s made of gold lol… should be here in 2 days… will let you know if it fits?!

Sounds like an interesting project. I'm blessed with a ton of parts but sometimes I just don't have what I need. For starters I use SBT $119. I just bought one. I think it came with the bracket. Good Luck.

Thanks all… I have been on this merry-go-round for way too long already… hoping I can finally get the ski back in the water this weekend… especially as my new Wake Pro (ordered last year) has still not arrived yet :-(

Thanks all… I have been on this merry-go-round for way too long already… hoping I can finally get the ski back in the water this weekend… especially as my new Wake Pro (ordered last year) has still not arrived yet :-(
I am seriously starting to lose the will to live... I have the new engine ready to go back in the ski, but I thought I'd refurb the starter motor while it was so easily accessible (ever wish you'd never started something?!). VERY long and expensive story short I have tried multiple variations of refurb kits, only to find that the bearing was pretty much toast, so I bought a brand new started from DB Electrical, only to find that, whilst it "fits" the bracket at the back doesn't line up with the mounting bolt... I have tried multiple variations of butchering various parts to make a complete starter that works and fits, all to no avail.

Rant over. So to my question: Does anyone on this forum know where I can get a new or high quality refurbished, starter that I can simply bolt in to the engine and get going? Sooooooooo frustrating!
From what I can tell, it looks like on the table you have a nine tooth starter, I mention this because there is a nine and an eight tooth version for different 1999 GTX models.

After you verify the correct hardware for your RFI 1999 set up, I suggest checking out the listings in the link I supplied. This is a Ma and Pa shop at a Florida and if they ever see anything strange they always contact prior to shipping something out to you. I’ve always had a great experience with them and if you shell out enough, as with many other suppliers, you waive the shipping. Also, a lot of the time you can’t beat the price!

Jet Ski Starter Motor

PS When you check the listings for eight and nine tooth starters, it literally says it in the name and in the note so you don’t have to count teeth from a stock photo.

Cheers!

Man you gots MONEY !! Us po folks gotta keep the old skis running. LOL Enjoy your new ski.
Thanks man… if it ever arrives???!!!… love the RFI, though… weighs almost nothing so don’t feel it on the back of the boat… hoping I can get her running again, which is looking increasingly likely thanks to all the great help from you and everyone else on this forum!
You need the exact bracket for that rfi,,,I went thru the same nightmare couple months ago,
I have the original bracket… are you suggesting that I need a “new” bracket to match the replacement starter that has offset studs on the back vs the original?… if so, where did you get it from? Thanks in advance

I used the same DB starter as you on my 2004 GTI LE RFI. The bracket doesn't line up but I went ahead and used it with the bracket wedged in there. The other two bolts and one with a nut on the back holds it tight so I don't see it going anywhere or coming loose. Lots of people just use them without the bracket because most of the generic starters don't line up with the bracket attached. Plus the crappy starters will probably fail and it will be easier to replace without the bracket attached lol.

For any who follow, I found one that fitted perfectly (rear mounting bracket and all)… part no: SD278001936 from World of Power Sports… wasn’t cheap at almost $300 inc shipping but I had already spent at least that on failed starters from other suppliers and a rebuild kit - none of which worked!

When a failed starter fails,,,we put in a new braush kit,,,OEM…then you you keep the good “guts” of the Original…seems that you have the proper bracket now?

When a failed starter fails,,,we put in a new braush kit,,,OEM…then you you keep the good “guts” of the Original…seems that you have the proper bracket now?
Thanks… I tried just replacing the brushes and bearing but the old bearing in the old starter was “welded” in place with rust, so decided to replace the whole unit… in fact, the part I ended up with (per above) is brand new and fits like a glove (inc the original bracket)… works like a charm (now I just need to fix the exhaust gasket leak per my other thread!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back