1999 GTX won't start after first start

Status
Not open for further replies.

AggieTripletDad

I recently purchased 2 jet skis from an individual and he said there were new batteries in them. One starts fine all of the time but the other will start fine the first and maybe second time but after running and turning it off it's very hard to start. When you press the start/stop button nothing happens, doesn't even try and start. I tested the voltage incoming from the stator and it fluctuates between 20-50V AC depending upon the engine RPMs but there is little to no voltage DC coming out of the rectifier to charge the battery. I replaced the rectifier with one I bought on Amazon and still no change - I get about 1VDC output (not hooked to battery). I'm thinking I got a bad rectifier...any other thoughts?

I always like to start where "all the initial action is"...the battery...before you do a load test on it,...is it about 12.7V...?
If not charge it to about 12.7V, then do a load test,...even though the seller said they are new batteries,,, that is where I start with your symptoms.
I can't recall where your regulator is on that machine,,,you said the stator is charging, ..that is great news,,,make sure your fuses are good, and then check all your connections from the reg. to the battery.
Maybe the new reg is bad...or corroded connections...or a fuse.

I could load test the battery but I can already see that there's no voltage from the rectifier recharging the battery while the engine is running.

I always like to start where "all the initial action is"...the battery...before you do a load test on it,...is it about 12.7V...?
If not charge it to about 12.7V, then do a load test,...even though the seller said they are new batteries,,, that is where I start with your symptoms.
I can't recall where your regulator is on that machine,,,you said the stator is charging, ..that is great news,,,make sure your fuses are good, and then check all your connections from the reg. to the battery.
Maybe the new reg is bad...or corroded connections...or a fuse.

Since it is charging, and that plug is right there, then either the reg is not good, or your problems are in the electrical box,,,you can find a lot of trapped corrosion in there,,,check all your connections in there,,,fuses,,,fuse holders,,,wire connectors,,,and of course strength of the battery...

None of the wiring goes into the box. The rectifier bolts to the top of the box and the connector with the yellow wires is the incoming from the stator. The one my meter is connected to is the outgoing to the battery.

Load test battery and get rid of that cheap aftermarket rectifier. They are junk.
I recommend only OEM. Maybe OSD parts will have what you need.

Load test battery and get rid of that cheap aftermarket rectifier. They are junk.
I recommend only OEM. Maybe OSD parts will have what you need.

I understand "go with OEM" but using this one should at least tell me if it's my issue or not correct? No matter if the battery is low it should still charge up while the ski is running if the rectifier is good. I am not getting the voltage I need out of the rectifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back