1999 GTI just died

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RegDunlop14

This weekend my 1999 GTI died at 35MPH after about 5 minutes on the water. No sputter it just cut out and would not restart. After being towed in I checked the solenoid and it was good.

When the start button is pressed the flywheel will move ever so slightly so it seems like the starter is engaged. The battery is at 12V but drops to 8ish when the start button is pressed.

I pulled the plugs and tried to turn the flywheel by hand but I can’t move it more than an inch or so. How easily should it move?

If the issue is with the battery would that cause the machine to cut out like it did?

It did have fresh oil and gas. The carb was recently rebuilt and ran fine over the Fourth of July.

At 8 volts the battery is trash but at the moment we need to be concerned why it will not turn over.

With the plugs out it should turn over all the way by hand. If it will not I suggest first pulling the pump as they have been known to lock up when water gets inside.

At 8 volts the battery is trash but at the moment we need to be concerned why it will not turn over.

With the plugs out it should turn over all the way by hand. If it will not I suggest first pulling the pump as they have been known to lock up when water gets inside.

I’m assuming it should turn over fairly easily by hand?

THere will be some resistance but you shouldn't need any tools to make it turn over.

Pulled the pump off tonight and still can’t turn the engine over by hand. Didn’t get to pull the shaft complete out because I ran out of daylight.

If it won’t turn over by hand is it dead?

Unfortunately, I'm afraid so. If you have the pump off and the plugs out and you still can't turn it over by hand, you've got something internally wrong with the engine

Itll turn about 3/4” to 1” clockwise and less counterclockwise. Guess I’ll dig into it more and see if I can find an obvious cause.

The only other thing is your starter could be stuck in the flywheel especially if it’s aftermarket. With the engine dying on you that’s probably not your issue but it’s worth a try.

What video file formats are applicable to be uploaded here? Have a video of what the engine is doing that I can upload. Tried mov avi and some others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back