1999 GSXL spark, no spark, then spark again

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Gymski

took my 99 GSXL to the lake yesterday and it would not start. Just put a new starter in it and about $100 of Loctite for things I'd never imagined before. It started up great at the house 5-6 times. Dropped it in the water and it popped once (maybe one cylinder, one time) and that was it. I tried for an hour to get it to fire up and nothing. Took it back to the house and tinkered for 45 minutes went through the MPEM/DES settings and it started. Why, I don't know . Every time I was getting the 2 beeps that the DES fob was connected correctly but, no fire when it was in the water or the first 10 times I hit the start button after coming home. Spins nicely but no fire...

My real question is this...does the MPEM know that it may be flooded and not allow it to start or something like that? It was pretty wet when I pulled the new plugs out from all the stating I tried to do. Or, is there something else that silly computer could be teasing me with???
I have no history with this beast as yesterday was the first time at the lake since purchase.
I hope it's not trying to tell me something. The digital readout does say "12v Low". Not sure what it's referring to. The battery didn't give up with 45 minutes of attempted starts. Maybe the battery is only putting out 10-11 volts but enough amps to spin everything and the MPEM won't let it start with low voltage? Would be weird...

Jim

The MPEM has no idea if the engine might be fuel flooded. One approach if there's fuel flooding is to remove plugs, ground the plug wires(of course) and crank to engine over to blow the excess fuel from the cylinders and crankcase, open the throttle fully for maximum air. The dangerous part is, fuel vapors are heavier than air and will settle to the bottom of the bilge so be very careful, use a rag over the plug holes in the cylinder head to catch liquid fuel.

The real question in my mind now is why the plugs were fuel-fouled, were the carbs recently rebuilt and if so, was correct pop-off pressure confirmed?

Maybe you just got too friendly with the choke, after the first pop I usually let go of choke and I tend to apply some throttle as well, (~1/3) when cranking most any engine, this is my unconscious habit.

Sometimes even new plugs can become fouled under the right conditions, so always try another fresh set. A good fresh set of plugs can make the difference, if the insulators are still snow white but perhaps oily then maybe dry them out with some solvent such as carb cleaner. Even good plugs won't fire though, if there's too much fuel.

Hopefully the plugs weren't water-fouled from water in the crankcase?

Maybe got a bit happy with the choke. I tried blowing it out with the out but that didn't help.
Didn't think the MPEM could know if it was flooded but had to ask.
The odd part of it being flooded, there didn't seem to be any spark at the plugs when I grounded them to check them visually. Maybe my eyes were just not seeing it. Maybe I should have stuck my finger in it as that always answers the question once and for all.

Thanks for the input.! Back to the lake we go!

Jim

Not that this will help necessarily but maybe something to keep in mind.... A little trick I sometimes use if one plug isn't firing and I think it's beginning to foul is to pull the wire off about 1/4 inch and see if it begins firing. This eliminates the voltage bleed down that happens with a partially fouled plug b/c the plug is out of the circuit as the coil output voltage is rising until the voltage is high enough to jump from the wire to the plug, this can then be high enough to jump the plug gap of a marginal plug.

I'm pretty sure the 1999 model uses two coils so IF you have a problem with ignition I'd look at the common ground of the two coils and/or the common trigger from the flywheel.

It can be really hard to see a spark in the bright sun, can't recall the last time I intentionally tested for spark using my fingers, those ignition systems can really produce a good jolt.

Harbor freight has a pretty decent single wire spark ignition tester thingy I've seen there, maybe one of those would be handy to keep in the tool box. I have a couple spark gap testers, one for six and one for eight, those are pretty handy but the spark is open environment so gasoline fumes in a bilge CAN be an issue but really nice for the multi-cylinder engines you get to see spark right away with no guessing so good for quickly ironing out ignition system problems.

I think if battery voltage drops much under 11v you're getting close to no spark with this MPEM DCDI.

Go easy on that choke though, let go after the first pop and see if that helps?

I have one of those spark testers, it has come in handy more than once... cheap too !

I find it semi humorous that this thread is in the wrong section, but technically its in the right section because its about spark.

Back