1998 XPL So it Begins

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
The XPL is now Third in line for repairs but some cool things happened today. I was finally able to get a closer look at the engine compartment and dang if everything wasn't already disconnected and ready to remove. Perhaps they were in the process of installing. :) I pulled it out of the ski and then engine feels pretty good but since I have it out I'm wondering if I should disassemble and check it out. I'm finding gofast parts so I may need to take it apart anyway. I just want a stock engine with stock parts. If I have NOVI Carbs. Rossier head, and Tony "something" Racing exhaust box I wonder what else I might find on the ski. I know the guy that owned it previously liked to be able to keep up with the other skis and maybe be just a bit ahead. LOL I heard he didn't like it because he couldn't carry enough fuel. Anyway... the journey begins. Don't know if I'm gonna like these 951's but I gotta get my feet wet sometime. :)

:oops: How about some pics of the ski. I want to look for other goodies. Maybe put the flash on and take one in through the nozzles.

I have both and can’t see not having both. On calm days to just mess around and be stupid the 96’ XP all day long. But on choppy days covering some distance at speed and being comfortable the XP Limited blows the 96’ away.

If there is chop and rough water in the forecast for the day the 96’ stays home.

Oh, I almost forgot. You need an HX too for ripping buoys and getting soaked.[emoji6]

Last edited:
Well.... we're going to try them all out. I had a look into the engine. Looks brand new as in fresh rebuild. I don't think the engine was even fired up.

Question... is there a type/model specific alignment procedure on the 98 XPL ? I have the alignment kit I purchased.... just wondering if this one is different than the rest.

I suggest you check that engine for leak down before you ever install it. Also make sure it has oil in the balancer.

The alignment is in the manual. First loosen the support bearing carrier then install the tool and tighten the carrier then align the engine as typical.

Is this thing more of a pain to align than the 1996 GTX ? What I would call... NORMAL jet skis. LOL

I have both and can’t see not having both. On calm days to just mess around and be stupid the 96’ XP all day long. But on choppy days covering some distance at speed and being comfortable the XP Limited blows the 96’ away.

If there is chop and rough water in the forecast for the day the 96’ stays home.

Oh, I almost forgot. You need an HX too for ripping buoys and getting soaked.[emoji6]

My Keeper skis are the 96 and 97 GTXs. I like the 96 SPX a lot and don't think I ever need more than that but the 96 XP has some Giddy UP. As for the XPL.... it's gonna be fun test riding it. :) I know you'll never say I have too many. LOL

I have a load of x-4 right now. I'm looking to lose some of those and find an HX. Maybe an xpl in time but i have my speedster sk for the choppy days so I'd be fine with two x-4 and an hx

I saw what looks like an HX set up for racing in my area. $1,200. Long Beach, MS I don't like the HX. This one looks like a good deal for someone. There is also an HX with a 1500cc Kawasaki Engine for $11,500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back