1998 seadoo charging system troubleshooting

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_March_Hare

I have a 1998 GSX Limited that I recently purchased. The battery was defective so I purchased a new one. It ran For about an hour and then the 12 V warning light came on. I checked the rectifier and it seemed fine. I thought that it was the battery so I replaced it again. Immediately when I put the new battery in the 12 will warning light came on. And it wouldn't start. You would kick over a few times but it wouldn't start. I tried it a few more times and his started smoking from the part of the engine where the starter is located.

On the 951 that would actually be on the left side the opposit of the pistons.

I was wondering if the starter could be the cause of the 12 V warning sign or whether or not it could also be the stator. Has anyone else who's had to replace the starter add a problem with the 12 V warning sign coming on?

12v low means that the voltage is too low. So it could be the battery or the starter could be going bad and pulling too much power causing the voltage to drop.

Smoke is always bad so you need to see if it’s the starter or maybe a bad cable. Don’t buy an aftermarket starter as they are all junk, yes, all of them. Typically it’s just the brushes that go bad on the OEM starters and are easily replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back