1998 GTX No crank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuchumad

Hi I'm new to the forum sorry if not in right spot
... I am here because my 98 GTX is not cranking I am an auto tech and did some diag but I am stumped bought ski had water in hull drained and dried hooked up jumper pack to battery and tried to start just a beep everytime I press the button I have tried putting the key on first then turning on the ski and I have tried turning the ski on then putting the key in to start if I try to hold start button it just keeps beeping I have jumped the starter solenoid and it cranks over o have checked fuses in the MPEM all good I can't find the fuse in the rear by electrical box to check it out please help

Sounds like your ski doesn't recognize the DESS key....do you have the right key? If the right key is recognized, you should get 2 short chirps from the ski.

If jumping the solenoid posts gets her to crank over, then actually starting the ski is a possibility....but you need the right DESS key to get her to actually allow the MPEM (computer) to start the ski. Aftermarket MPEMS can be bought without the DESS function, but the AM mpems are "not" necessarily as reliable as the stock mpem.

If the hull was full of water.....check all the electrical connections in the rear electric box....chances are things re already buggered up.....all electrics need to be clean, bright and tight.

Alright I'm sure it's the right key to worked a couple years ago then sat with a dead battery forever if I pull the key the gauges cut off idk if that would happen with the wrong key

Alright I'm sure it's the right key to worked a couple years ago then sat with a dead battery forever if I pull the key the gauges cut off idk if that would happen with the wrong key
This is directly from your shop manual...Section 8-06 DESS = 2 short beeps when installing the safety lanyard means MPEM recognizes the key and Ignition is authorized, engine can start.

So, when you put the key on the machine...do you hear 2 short chirps?

The MPEM memory is "forever", so sitting a long time with a dead battery does not lose the mpem memory.

Your ski guages should come alive if they have battery power and you press the Start button...you don't need the key installed for the guages to wake up.

Also when waking it up it gives me one beep if the key is in and nothing if it's not I'm not getting 2 beeps

One beep means:
1) bad connection between lanyard and switch, OR
2) wrong lanyard for the MPEM, OR
3) bad lanyard, OR
4) bad DESS post/wiring to/from DESS post, OR
5) defect in primary wiring harness (might do this if there is a bad connection at the large square connector that goes into the magneto cover for the ignition pickup)

How much water was in the hull, and why? When you jumped the solenoid with the plugs out, did you get water shooting out of the plug holes?

Plugs were out no water came out of the motor and I only get a beep when I push the start stop button when the ski is awake and if I hold it it beeps and keeps beeping until I let go of the start stop button

Also when I push the the start button 5 times and put it in diagnostic mode I get 2 beeps one short one long then when u put the key on I get nothing and then if i push the start stop button i get 2 short beeps which i think it means it's exiting diagnostic mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back