1998 GTX 951 Sputter Under Throttle

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprockethead

Hi all, I'm using this as a sort of 'last ditch effort' before I sell this thing for a loss. I've got a '98 GTX Limited with the 951 in it. Brand new motor last year. Ran great last year...until my cousin rolled it and filled it. Got it cleared of water and running while still at the river that trip, and ran great the rest of the weekend. (I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it's current problem, but figured I'd be thorough). After being stored for a couple months, we took it out again, only to have it sputter under throttle. Starts great, Idles great, both in and out of water. Revs great out of water too, but as soon as it's in water, different story. The analog tach also has started bouncing between 3-4k out of water while digital reads correct around 3k. While revving, it will occasionally flatline to zero, (killing the engine if in water). It will start back up immediately though. 12v low light is on, but has generally always been on since I bought the ski. Here's what I've done so far to troubleshoot:

Replaced all fuel lines
Cleaned but not rebuilt Carburetor (it was gooped up, but rubber seemed to be in good condition)
Bypassed fuel selector
Added external 4tec rectifier
Checked, cleaned, and greased all accessible electrical connections and grounds
Replaced spark plugs
New battery
Cleaned RAVE valves
Rebuilt jet pump

I'm sure there are a few things I'm forgetting too. I feel like I have covered all the bases outside of bad MPEM, which I'm not sure fits the symptoms anyways. I'd LOVE to keep the ski as it is a blast when running right, and have sunk a decent amount of $ into it to fix it. Thanks for any input!

Check compression. The 3 tiny holes right below the throttle plate must be clean. On both carbs... look for Mikidymacs carb rebuild ‘sticky’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back