RESTO 1998 GSX Limited (Red & Purple)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveDavisLP

Premium Member
Premium Member
Picked it up last week with trailer for $400. 125 hours on it and it is in pretty good shape. Would crank intermittently but not start. Previous owners thought it was a spark issue but I put some premix in it and it fired. Compression was in the low 130's, It had the tempo lines in it still and the hull was full of oil which I could tell the tank seam was the issue. Gas gauge did not work nor the VTS.
Fast forward to this week....I ordered a new VTS motor and a new bellows (old one was cracked in half) and it is working fine now.
I pulled the carbs and what a mess inside. They were just rebuilt in May and only had probably 15 gallons ran through it since. Hopefully I will be able to just clean them out.
The intermittent cranking issue was both positive cables were corroded plus the starter connection was loose. It had got hot a few times as the boot had a hole burned in it. So I made new cables to fix that.
RAVE valves were all gunked up but the carbon was not too bad so I pulled them and cleaned everything up.
Pulled the oil tank and will try to plastic weld it and see how that goes. Oil filter looked as though it had not been changed in a while so I will do that. Any reason to change the oil lines unless I see an issue or they are stiff? Just clean them and put them back?
Pulled the fuel sending baffle and it was intact but I did see two filter screens and two floats in the bottom of the tank with a bunch of dirt, trash and other crap. I will see if the fuse is the issue. It has the white float.
Thus I'm going to pull the motor to service it, change all the fluids, pull the gas tank and clean it up, change the fuel lines and adding a Fram G12 filter, change the crankcase oil, then clean up the engine compartment.
While I have the engine out is there any other recommendations of things I should do? I assume the oil pumps are pretty reliable on these things and should be ok to leave as is?
I removed the large SeaDoo sticker under the rub rail as well as the rub rails and started wet sanding the hull. I actually think it looks better without that decal with the two upper decals it looked a little too busy. I plan on trying to change the rub rail to black and reuse the purple inserts to eliminate a little of the purple.
Appreciate any feedback I can get.

Well the fuel baffle tests ok......when I pulled it the connecter was unplugged and taped up. Upon looking at the part #'s mine shows a 275-500-469 which is for a 2002 GTX or RX. Would this baffle work with my gauge.

I should also mention the previous owner, when they bought it in May, spent $1,000 at the local SeaDoo dealer rebuilding the carbs, serviced the jet pump, new plugs, new battery, and a new fuel valve.

I will slowly figure this out lol. I see the new part number for the baffle for my unit is the 275-500-469 so at least it is the right baffle.

Do Not Add The G2 filter!!!
You don’t want to starve a 951 for fuel.
Your plan sounds great.
Only run Seadoo XPS full synthetic oil.

Replace the small 3/32” oil lines from the pump to the intake.

130 psi is perfect for a 951 and is not low.

Rebuild the carbs with only Genuine Mikuni kits, replace the needle and seats, replace the fuel selector and strainer o-ring. Don’t remove the factory strainer and don’t add an additional filter. Also check your wear ring and impeller. I would double check everything the “dealer “ did.

Do Not Add The G2 filter!!!
You don’t want to starve a 951 for fuel.
Your plan sounds great.
Only run Seadoo XPS full synthetic oil.

Replace the small 3/32” oil lines from the pump to the intake.

130 psi is perfect for a 951 and is not low.

Rebuild the carbs with only Genuine Mikuni kits, replace the needle and seats, replace the fuel selector and strainer o-ring. Don’t remove the factory strainer and don’t add an additional filter. Also check your wear ring and impeller. I would double check everything the “dealer “ did.
Thanks for the reply: Actually I had the G12 but your opinion is no additional filter on the 951 at all except for the factory one...correct?
I figured while I had the motor out that if it made sense to do it then I would go ahead and do it. Things like starter rebuild etc? Starter sounds great at the moment ;)

You are correct, no additional filter. It’s worked fine for 20 years without it. If the starter is fine I wouldn’t mess with it.

You are correct, no additional filter. It’s worked fine for 20 years without it. If the starter is fine I wouldn’t mess with it.

Hey MikidyMac,

How come you are suggesting to remove the G2 on the 951?

My friend has an XPL and swears by the G2 after a carb blockage caused a premature engine failure. He recently opened his carbs and they were extremely clean after a 1.5 years usage.

I haven't been on the forums for awhile but they were all the rage on here not that long ago. Has someone had a bad experience with an inline on a 951? I know that if you get water in the G2 it can cause serious issues, but I thought only an event such as an sinking/rolling the ski would permit water into the fuel system.

I know my friend treats the G2 as a yearly consumable and has a new one installed after each season, further reducing the risk.

Just asking as I was considering a G2 after seeing how much junk was in my carbs on the last rebuild.

I don't like them because they can add restriction and that is the last thing you want on your 951 fuel system. As you said they plug with any water and that can come from condensation as well as rolling the ski. In my opinion additional filtration is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I can tell you after having about 15 skis in my life and working on hundreds I have never seen the need for an additional filter than the stock one.

Not 1 of my seadoo's has had any dirt in the carbs after I have serviced them correctly when they are "New to me". This is new fuel lines, fuel strainer, cleaning the tank and rebuilding the carbs. Your fuel baffle strainer will get the large crap, the fuel strainer/water separator will get all the small and medium crap and the little carb filters will get anything final that wouldn't pass through the jets.

Honestly if you are getting enough crap in your fuel tank to need any additional filtration the G2 is the least of your problems.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yep that makes sense. I forgot about the potential condensation condition!

I'll probably just hold off them!

Well in cleaning the rave last night the oily thing slipped out of my hand and it hit the concrete floor. Took off about an 1/8 of an inch off one of the points. Will it be ok or should I replace it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back