1998 Challenger 1800 Won't Start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlongusmc

Hey guys! New Seadoo owner as of yesterday. Below is the issue I'm facing.

Boat had been sitting for 3 years, today I drained the old fuel and oil, removed and cleaned the carbs and replaced hoses, and put new oil and gas in. When I press the start buttons the engines will fire but won't turn over. I called all the boat service shops around me and none of them work on these so it's up to me. Any suggestions on why the engines won't fully turn over?

Update, a friend and I discovered that there is no spark coming from any of the 4 plugs, all fuses are good and all plugs are brand new and the coils themselves look new. Any further suggestions why there is no spark?

are the engines actually turning over and the starter engaging the fly wheel?

Hey man! thanks for reply. So I'm not the smartest mechanically inclined but after working for 2 days on it this is what we boiled down:

If the lanyard key is attached it makes 2 short beeps (Mpem is good and engine are good fire up normally), when you press the start buttons they will both fire but will NOT fully turn over. We verified all connections and fuses. We bypassed the ignition buttons by using a screwdriver within the coil packs and it definitely sparked. So it seems the issue is the transfer of spark from the coils to the spark plugs (which are new). So we are definitely scratching our heads!

When you say fully turn over, do you mean the engine cranks from the starter but doesn't actually start? Is it turning slowly. What is the condition of your battery? an old battery may show 12 volts or better but fail a load test and fall flat on its face when you actually try to put a load to it such as depressing the starter button.

When you say fully turn over, do you mean the engine cranks from the starter but doesn't actually start? Is it turning slowly. What is the condition of your battery? an old battery may show 12 volts or better but fail a load test and fall flat on its face when you actually try to put a load to it such as depressing the starter button.

Yes that's what I mean, doesn't actually start, and the battery is brand new

Im a little confused about what is actually happening when you're saying "the engines will fire, but not fully turn over."

When you hit the start button, do the engines make a full rotation, or are they trying to turn over, but won't make a complete revolution?

Yeah, I think you have your terminology a little mixed up. Turning over means that when you push the start button, the starter engages and the motors rotate. Fire or fire up would mean that the Motors are turning over and making Spark but do not complete the starting sequence. My advice would be to explain in plain English exactly what happens when you try to start the Motors. You need to provide every detail. How old is the fuel? Has the battery been fully charged and load tested? Have you verified the plugs are correct? Have you checked the compression? Have you absolutely confirmed each plug is producing Spark? If you have good spark, what happens when you introduce fresh premix fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back