1997 xp mods and troubleshooting

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

masta2000

i just bought a 1997 xp800 and added the following mods.
-skat trak impeller 17-26
-r&d pro ride plate
-worx racing intake grate
-twin 44mm mikuni carb with intake add-ons and k&n filter
-factory pro full exhaust pipe with header.

with these mods the sea-doo should be really fast. i am currently running premix on 45:1, which seems to be rich because smoking like crazy. machine wont go past 57mph. my buddy passes me with stock machine. is my combination too weird or is something wrong with tuning. i am currently working on fine tuning the carbs.

It must be set pretty rich to smoke like that with a relatively free flow intake. Carb tuning is definitely in order.

Also might need to check jetting with the Factory pipe. It should have some recommended setups. http://www.factorypipe.com/t_carbtuning.php

I have to wonder if the grate is a bit aggressive and reducing top speed. If it is a scoop style, then it might be a great way to improve turn handling and hookup at acceleration - but could reduce overall top end.

jetting on carb is just right, am not sure exactly what the sizes are but i tuned it myself and it came out right form the low speed to high speed. i was also under the impression the higher pitch impellers gave higher top speed. the machine accelerates like hell all the way to 55mph. doesnt seem to hit rev limiter. i also need to buy micro touch rev limiter for higher revs. apparently with factory pipe it is pretty mandatory. also for the mixture i played with 40:1 which is way too rich, 45:1 is still too rich. 50:1 seems just about right, a little bit of smoke, you gotta love 2-stroke!

will rev limiter give more top speed?

the intake grate is scoop type, it claims not to hurt top speed though. the design has scoops, but on top of the actual main bars that go front to back.
will intake grate make that much difference? like i said machine wont go past 56-57mph but runs like new with good oil mixture

rev limiter wont do anything, since you said, your not hit'n the stock one, yet..now that reread your thread, hav'n the intake, the impellor may need to be at that pitch, since its swallow'n up, hell more water...

its what i thought. so what would be suggestions to make the machine go faster since i seem to have the means but it doesnt deliver

put it back to stock..lmao i have the same ski and itll run 55 all day long and if u get smooth enough water itll touch 60.. all i have is a jet dynamics intake grate.. turns on a dime..

Last edited by a moderator:
that might not be so bad, although i do like the primer kit on the aftermarket carbs, gets the machine started instantly. it would be a shame to remove all the aftermarket parts, not to mention a waste. wish there was something to do

yea i know what ya mean.. if u really want to go faster i say sell it and buy a 951 xp.. i rode my buddies 99 gsx yesterday, it has a 951 , and i didnt think it would be that much faster than my xp but IT IS.. its crazy.... but it doesnt handle anything like the xp,meaning not as good.. so my conclusion a 951 powered xp is DEF the way to go if u want something that is FAST and turns like no ones business..

you may be right, although i hear the engine on those is flimsy. just a month ago the crankshaft snapped on my buddy's . its supposed to be a common thing. neways, thanks for the input guys.

yea, i do love the reliablity of my ol 787... starts and runs perfect everytime and runs right at 55 alll day long..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back