1997 SPX two part question, please help.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

walleyeguy1

Hi all, new to forum yesterday and have reviewed hundreds and hundreds of posts looking for my answers. Here is what I bought:

1997 SPX that I believe to be an old racing machine (I can see the faded racing decals and performance parts decals on the sides and hood).

It has the following parts upgraded from what I can tell: Skat-Trak impeller, jet dynamics grate, aftermarket air cleaner that has a big 'W' on in and the cover in purple and yellow aluminum. Exhaust looks stock as does the water box.

It runs great however I took it to my dealer for a once over and they replace the ignition switch and battery. I put in a new solenoid.

Issues:

1) I need to change out the gray tempo lines. I understand do one line at a time and make sure clamps are tight. Questions: there seems to be in line connections that don't go anywhere. It is almost like a splice. They are clamped and all, but just curious when I change them out, can I just go straight hose until a 'T' connection or to where the line ends?

2) i am replacing the starter as it sticks when bumped and won't start. How the hell does a guy get to the 3 or 4 bolts to take it off? I took the air cleaner off but didn't help much.

Bonus:

Given what I have, what I am asking for help with, what would be my next best upgrades or fixes for this machine. I will update with photos if needed. Just looking for some directions. Wonderful forum by the way! Thanks in advance.

Erik

I think the grey lines that don't go anywhere that your talking about are breather lines. Those ones don't need to be replaced only the ones that carry fuel. Follow the lines from the gas tank and start from there. You should remove your fuel selector and replace that as they go bad and leak air also check your fuel/water selector and
Make sure the o ring is sealing correctly

Getting to starter is difficult but not impossible. I did on my 97 SPX and it was a total PITA. Get a good mirror and light. There are three bolts in total. Use Allen keys with round heads so you can get at them at an angle. I think they are are 5mm. The two bolts on stator side are easy BUT the bolt that attaches to engine on backside is where the fun is at. Use the mirror. You can do it!

Got the starter out and the lines replaced tonight, so progress. Starter should be here next week. Will update when I get it! Thanks again.

You can usually relube the starters and get some more life out of them. Taking apart the bottom half will expose the brushes, and if they're good, you might be okay to keep using it. Make sure the bendix allows the gear to turn one way only while holding the bendix base.

New starter in and she fired up once the lines were full of full! She sounds like she is ready to go! Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back