1997 SPX Restoration Build

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColtWood

I picked up this 1997 Seadoo SPX over summer, it didn't run when I bought it. Wouldn't crank changed the battery and still had nothing so I figured id switch the computer from the 96 xp that I bought recently that needs rebuilt and now it turns over and everything checks out good compression (160psi each cylinder) and spark. I am in the middle rebuilding the carbs and removing the paint and rubber coating they covered over the old traction mat holes. After that I will be wet sanding and buffing the whole hull due to it starting to yellow, I have already removed all of the decals from the top part of the hull.
Plans for the ski:
-Wet sand and buff
-New traction mats
-Jettrim seat cover with hump seat
-Beachouse or work sponsons
-extended rear tabs only the sides
-umi steering with bars and finger throttle
As of right now going to be keeping the engine stock and only doing the handling mods for now, next winter I plan on striping the hull down and painting it when I start to do performance parts
Also started a build series on youtube subscribe if you want to keep updated I will post on here and have videos on there with updates

Nice! I just bought a couple 97SPX's this week. Sounds like you have a solid plan for yours.

Please consider my billet trim tabs..... $107 shippedIMG_0163.jpg

They help the boat jump up and plane out faster but more importantly they help keep it from porpoising so much. Those short hulls try to jump everything and sometimes want to bounce on smoother water too. Most of the time you want to cruise without the nose of the thing flying up all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back