RESTO 1997 SPX Build

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good looking skis in a beautiful spot though.

Indeed. I was laughing about it all by the end of the day, so spirits were still good. A few broken skis aren't a big deal at the end of the day.

We're a little spoiled with our lake setup... These pics were taken from our friends beach next door that we launch from. This is the view from our deck that never gets old (and this house has been in the family for almost 30 years):

353.jpg

Time to revive this thread since I’m back to wrench on skis again.

As much as I’d like to keep it, the 98 SPX was bought as a flipper ski so I’m taking off the aftermarket goodies and replacing with stock. The motor is getting pulled, checked and painted and the hull is getting a good clean and buff.

I’m building the 97 to be a ‘poor mans race boat’ and have an RFI big hub pump and Solas grate ready to install. The carbs on both the 97 and 98 have fresh Mikuni rebuilds on them- are the 98 carbs with the accelerator pumps better or more desirable than the 97s and can they be interchanged? My research has come up short in giving a definitive answer- I don’t believe there is an issue.

And because no post is complete without pictures:

The 97 and 98 had been in my 10x10 storage building out of the weather, so this was the easiest way to get it back on the ground by myself.

9595175804b3e370b32e8588fc5a4253.jpg

This is a trick I've found to be handy for freeing a stuck pump. Using this cable and a small sledge hammer, I'll put the swing the hammer in the 'loop' of the cable, hitting the cable with the handle, making a crude slide hammer. Usually a few gentle swings pops the pump right off.
cfd9a78bb8b33af83df07e7ae641328e.jpg

This SPX had a questionable rebuild, hence why I am going through it so much. It's had to see, but the motor is out of alignment:
43cda48e60a0520fd51d7e4cb750257f.jpg

And here is my Seadoo workshop for the time being. I have a shop build happening this year, but for now I have this space and my carport. Not much, but it'll get the job done after getting it organized and a light installed.
ebccdeebd7ebdba0ecebc46a9dfa6cef.jpg

Last edited:
Good looking ski there that will be a hard one to give up. That's a well stuffed 10X10 there.

Since that motor has been out for a rebuild then it very well could need alignment. I wouldn't judge by the carbon ring not being centered though sometimes they just pick there place to ride like that but all is still well.

Good looking ski there that will be a hard one to give up. That's a well stuffed 10X10 there.

Since that motor has been out for a rebuild then it very well could need alignment. I wouldn't judge by the carbon ring not being centered though sometimes they just pick there place to ride like that but all is still well.

Thanks Matt. I do hate to sell it since I have 96, 97 and 98 X4s in the stable right now, but I'd rather have some cash toward my shop.

The picture didn't pick up the misalignment well- the driveshaft and PTO are (slightly) out of line. Good eye on the carbon seal though. Since I won't have much money in parts, I'm going to spend the time to make this ski look and run the part.

New lights in the Seadoo shed installed:
d8a58409592d9b46afa1fc828257efa3.jpg

Just to keep this thread up to date (and so it doesn't get locked), the 98 SPX went to a new home this week so I'll finally be building the 97 as my keeper X4. The immediate plan is to install the solas prop, JD grate and sponsons from my 96XP that I sold to Matt, install a Yamaha QSTS cable trim system in lieu of the VTS and a bilge pump. It'll get a Jettrim cover in time since the current hump seat cover is in pretty good shape.

Oh, and I need to get the motor running again.

Did you ever install the Yamaha trim?

Not yet. I'm hoping to start working on this ski in a few months. There's a few threads out there that have documented this conversion, none of which I can find at the moment. I'll post up when I find it.

Thanks Matt. I do hate to sell it since I have 96, 97 and 98 X4s in the stable right now, but I'd rather have some cash toward my shop.

The picture didn't pick up the misalignment well- the driveshaft and PTO are (slightly) out of line. Good eye on the carbon seal though. Since I won't have much money in parts, I'm going to spend the time to make this ski look and run the part.

You want to sell me on of those single guage hoods on the shelf?

You want to sell me on of those single guage hoods on the shelf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back