1997 Seadoo XP 787 DESS

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Last summer we acquired a 1997 Seadoo XP with DESS equipped. We bought the ski for super cheap, pretty much free, so we don’t know much about it. One thing I learned, however, is the it is equipped with DESS and we didn’t receive the DESS key. Originally I didn’t think this was a big deal, however I have know learned it might be.

So my question is what would be the best way to fix this? Do I have to have my MPEM sent somewhere to have a new key programmed? Or am I able to purchase a new MPEM with a DESS key and swap it out? Better off, is there an MPEM I can swap in that doesn’t use DESS but will work fine?

This is the only 787 ski we have owned as we are new to lake living. They look like a lot of fun, however, so I was hoping to try and revive this old ski for my family.

Thank you,
Jesse

If it was me the first thing I would do is contact the seller and determine if they still have a key to supply. You could also download a free shop manual for 97 seadoos and look up the DESS in the electrical section. If the beeper is working and the battery is good you could borrow any Seadoo DESS key and plug it in to see if the MPEM gives the 2 long beeps indicating the wrong key (but indicating some function from your MPEM). You could also get a beep code when you enter the advanced diagnostic mode described in the manual. Also the gauges should wake up by just pressing the start key.
MPEMs are not cheap and you definitely want an OEM one. You can determine if yours is OEM by looking for a part number (probably somewhere on the board. It is probably worth sending your MPEM to a reputable seller that can test your MPEM and program a key for you or supply you with a tested MPEM with a key. I believe Westside Powersports can assist you or point you in the right direction.

Anyone with a Candoo can program the MPEM for a key. Don't go to the dealer. Good Luck.

Similar scenario, new battery and no DESS key when I bought it, thinking no big deal, but realizing otherwise. I get no beeps or any sign of life in mine with a brand new battery. Power is running to solenoid, checked with test light but no other signs of life. What’s my next step? Thanks to any and all for suggestions.

Similar scenario, new battery and no DESS key when I bought it, thinking no big deal, but realizing otherwise. I get no beeps or any sign of life in mine with a brand new battery. Power is running to solenoid, checked with test light but no other signs of life. What’s my next step? Thanks to any and all for suggestions.
You can't do anything without a correctly coded DESS key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back