1997 Seadoo GSX Wont Start Some Times?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tpope23

Hello,
So I have a 1997 seadoo gsx with a 787cc engine and it was running well up till last year. I just redid the carburetors, got a new starter solenoid and battery. I have also checked both the ground and other wiring. So the problem is when I plug in the key there is no beep for one, but all the gauges come on. But when pressing the start button it will either fire right up and run perfectly, or it will turn over 2-3 times and die out. I've checked the battery and that is all good and everything is getting the right amount of voltage. It is just that sometimes it falls over and doesn't want to fire up. Sometimes when it doesn't fire up it shows 12v low but the battery is perfectly fine so I do not know what the problem is, also when doing the press the start/stop 5 times the message that comes up is overheated. Again once it starts up it runs great and there is no problem with it, it just doesn't start all the time. Any suggestions?

First you need to replace the beeper so you know what the computer is doing. Second it is either a bad battery or cables/connections. Even new batteries can be bad. The smoking gun is the slow crank and 12V LOW. Put a volt meter on the battery when cranking and when it starts to crank slow. If it is ever less than 12V then the battery is bad.

I got the battery tested and replace all the cables already, I’ve looked into that enough and know it’s not that. I also got the post replaced last year so it’s weird it would already go out

The beeper is not the post.

Could be the starter going but don't buy an aftermarket one, just get new brushes for the OEM starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back