1997 Seadoo GSI Dies when throttle is applied

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shippy

I have a 1997 Seadoo GSI, and whenever i seem to apply throttle my engine bogs down and dies unless i release the throttle.
I can sit at idle without any problems and go about a quarter of a throttle and cruise around but as soon as i increase it from there it will take off only to die about 2 seconds later (unless i release the throttle)
I replaced the fuel lines from the original grey lines and the carb has been cleaned since then. I have replaced plugs and fuel filters and the compression on the engine is good.
Im just curious on what els could possible be causing this problem with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s typically it running lean and if you continue it will seize.

It is usually a combination of dirty carbs, grey fuel lines rotting from the inside and fuel selector and strainer sucking air.

When i had first purchased the ski one of the first things i did was replace the lines and clean all the goop out of the carb. I have noticed aswell though when i replaced the spark plugs they were fouled and wet (if that might be playing a role). When i dry run the ski aswell it seems to pump out a exessive amount of white/grey smoke but once i get it on the lake after about 30sec of running it the smoking dies down.

Did you put new needle and seats and parts in the carbs from the carb kits?

Which carb kits did you buy?
Did you use the new springs from the carb kits?

Your carb needs a total clean and rebuild. You figure it's 20 years old. May have never been done. You cleaned green gunk out. It is most probably past the thimble filter. Take it to the launch ramp. Back down so your intake grate for pump is under water. Make sure it's tied down well to trailer. Start up and warm it up. Then try throttle, if it starts to die pull choke out a little. It if dies right away it's running rich. If it improves it is lean. Do not ride if it is lean. Fuel carries life giving oil to the engine. If it dies it's a sign your low speed check valve is not working. Lean it may be clogged low speed ports or holes in carb throat. Another sign the carb needs rebuilt. Some of the pump side check valves may be leaking. Not giving you enough pressure. If you can wrench stuff, you can do the rebuild. Read about it on the site. Use search function at above right of the forum. The sticky at top of this forum on carb adjustments, it has a lot of information. OSD.Com has kits and info on the right side of his page. We can also answer questions.

I took it out for a couple hours yesterday and found that in order to maintain full speed i need to keep the choke open about a quarter of the way and it runs fine, when i let it go it bogs down and goes back to about half speed, if i pull the choke out anymore than about a quarter it dies aswell. Could this just be a definite sign that the card needs to be fully rebuilt or does it point to somthing els?

This is an exact sign that your carbs need help as in the first few responses to your question.

I can't stress it enough that if you keep riding like this it will seize if damage hasn't already been done. I would check the compression before moving forward.

It needs cleaned real well. Then all the wear parts replaced. OSD.com has full rebuild kits for carbs. Read my post again. Been there did it. Ask questions and read what I have told you. Most times you can do it.

1997 Seadoo GSI poor idle and dies at full throttle

Ive been having a problem with my seadoo where it idles good for about 15 seconds then starts to get rough unless i apply a little throttle. It will also bog down after full throttle is applied and stay going a very slow speed with full throttle. I have replaced the plugs, fuel filters, and rebuilt the carb with all new seals and pieces (the only thing i didnt do was pull the injectors out which i wonder if its the problem). Now when i have tested it if i go full throttle and hold the choke about a quarter to half way i can get it to keep going full speed until i let it go but if i hold it fully out it will die. The odd part is it seemed to get a tad worse than it was after i rebuilt the carb.

Videos of it running.
The 1st video is full speed throttle only. The 2nd is just it idling.

[video=youtube;8svtOl2j5es]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8svtOl2j5es[/video]

[video=youtube;HHjnKFEYqQ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=HHjnKFEYqQ8[/video]

22500876_1532563016781070_924805859_n.jpg
22538088_1532563100114395_661210678_n.jpg

Did you add this fuel filter ?

If so, remove it because it causes fuel restriction.
1.png

Does it have a fuel selector valve? Mine would bog at full throttle even after I replaced the fuel lines, rebuild the carb, replaced the fuel filter and selector valve. Couldn't figure it out until I tried it on res and it worked perfectly. Bought a new valve from dealer and works fine now.

Make sure you clean it well. See sticky at top of forum about carb adjustments.. Read it carefully. OSD's site has information on the right side of the main page about carbs.He also has information on making a tool to install the check valves rubber retainers. The tool will save your sanity. Buy a cheap litter box and rebuild carb inside it. So you lose no parts or springs. Do not expose rubber parts to carb cleaner. It will eat them up. Replace the base gasket between carb and intake manifold with a new one. Some of the normally not replaced gaskets may need replaced just due to age. Search the carb manufacturer site. It has info too on rebuilds. Read up on the oil pump adjustment when you put it back together. Once again ask questions if your not sure. No one will belittle you. We are here to help ya out!

I had replaced the filter minutes to that prior to taking the idling video (which was after the water video when i got it home) The selector valve is the only thing i have not replaced, but my biggest confusion is it runs worse after i went though and cleaned and replaced everything in the carb. I know everything is where it should be, and the fuel filter inside the carb had alot of crap in it.
Its just strange, before rebuilding the carb, it still bogged down but not as bad as it does now and i didnt idle nearly as bad.

Also when i water tested it i switch it to res and it would become worse.

I replaced everything, and carefully did a one for one replacement and matched everything i took off with the new part i put back in, and now it seems to run even worse, with a bad idle now pus i when i did my quick test i have to hold the choke even further out to get it to stay at full throttle. I know the oil pump adjustment is good. I have a picture of how to adjust it and i have everything lined up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back