1997 Sea Doo GTX intermittent no spark

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajhietpas

Hello, I have a 1997 gtx that has intermittent no spark. It will crank over but will not start. After cranking I will get one single firing after the starter kicks off. I got it to run one time and ran fine as long as I gave it throttle. It would die out if I let it idle more than 10 seconds. I tested the ignition coil, the omh reading was .5ohms which according to sea doo is within spec of .3-.6ohms, from what I've researched it sounds like it is either a bad battery not producing enough voltage for both starter and ignition system so the mpem is not allowing ignition or a bad stater and pickup. I I am leaning more towards the battery do to the fact that the pwc fires once after the stater kicks off. I did try leaving my battery on a charger for two days and the charger reads that the battery is charged, but I have never actually had it load tested. Also after about three trys of turning over engine for 15seconds each I will get low voltage warning in the cluster. Any thoughts or passed experiences on this concern would be great.

Based on what I've read in the Diagnosis manual and shop manual from sea doo, I'm 95% sure it is the battery or grounding cable to the battery. Any thoughts on agm vs lead acid for batteries?

Update to this thread, after performing multiple voltage drops and resistance tests with them all coming up good, I replace the battery and that resolved my issue. I am assuming battery had a dead cell in it and was not providing enough CCA for the starter and the MPEM to allow ignition. Put about 4hrs on it this weekend and almost a full tank of gas with new AGM battery installed and still starts up right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back