1997 GTX no start

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstew68

Hey guys, I have a 97 GTX that’s got several electrical issues. There is no indication that any guages come on when the key is mounted on the DESS post. There is also no beeping. I checked the DESS post for continuity and that checked out. So that’s not the problem. The engine will only turn over when you jump the starter solenoid with a screwdriver. I replaced the solenoid and that’s not the issue either. However, I checked the spark plug and there is no spark when it turns over. I’m honestly unsure of what to check. I have thought about replacing the whole front electrical housing, which is for sale on eBay, but it’s rather pricy and I’m still unsure if it will solve my issue. Anyone have any ideas?

I had same exact thing happen to my 97 gtx..it’s the chipped key either wrong key or ur dess needs to be programmed to the key ur using I was tryi n to start my new one with the key from the second new one not knowing and thought it was. Fucked same exact thing was happening...went home got the other key and it started right up

I had same exact thing happen to my 97 gtx..it’s the chipped key either wrong key or ur dess needs to be programmed to the key ur using I was tryi n to start my new one with the key from the second new one not knowing and thought it was. Fucked same exact thing was happening...went home got the other key and it started right up

So yours didn’t respond at all? Mine shows no sign of power at all until you jump the solenoid. And of course that doesn’t provide power to the guages. I just got it recently to repair so I’m not sure if the guages ever did work.

So yours didn’t respond at all? Mine shows no sign of power at all until you jump the solenoid. And of course that doesn’t provide power to the guages. I just got it recently to repair so I’m not sure if the guages ever did work.

Start by checking all the ground points, you should have a small black wire at the rear ebox going directly to the battery negative, and the large black wire at the batt going to the starter/engine. But to complete circuit for the ski to come on, double check the plug on the front of the engine (mag housing), if this is corroded, not connected well, grounded back to the MPEM, nothing will happen, no gauges or anything. Jumping the solenoid poles only verifies the starter is working and completing the loop with the two large wires to the battery.

When the ski sits for awhile and corrosion sets in grounding issues manifest in the mag cover area. The plug from the MPEM to that cover has a ground on it, which in turn it's grounded inside the mag housing with a few bolts that mount the stator to the housing, which in turn the front cover itself is bolted to the other half. The ground gets completed back to the battery through all this. You could stick the meter on the ground pin on that plug and the other lead at the battery, you should get a continuity beep.

Last edited:
I'd get the beeper working first. Very handy to have that thing. When you insert the key you should hear a faint click of the holder relay pulling in. Very faint espeically of you can't here crap like me. :) If that clicks... when you hit the start key if should spin. If it isn't clicking... the ski isn't going to turn over. If the holder relay isn't pulling in you need to check the DESS Post, the Key and the plugs on the wiring. Also check all of the grounds. Start with the engine ground. You may need to pull the MPEM and CDI and start ohm checking the wiring. It is handy if you have a spare (good) gray box to swap out.

Last edited:
In a very humbling moment, I realized one of the 10 amp fuses was blown on the MPEM.. Starts right up now. I’m relieved because I just assumed the worst! Thanks guys!

In a very humbling moment, I realized one of the 10 amp fuses was blown on the MPEM.. Starts right up now. I’m relieved because I just assumed the worst! Thanks guys!

Persistance.... doesn't matter what you find but that you "found" it !! That's a win and you learned some stuff along the way !!

10 amp fuse????? According to the '97 GTX wiring diagram (see attached), you should have a 5 amp and a 15 amp fuse near the MPEM...not a 10 amp.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back