1997 GTI - Not run since 2011

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TJU22003

I just purchased a 1997 GTI that has been garaged since 2011. I plan on the following before running.
  • Replace gray fuel lines
  • Replace spark plugs
  • Replace fuel filter & o-ring
  • Rebuild carburetor with genuine Mikuni kit
  • Replace oil filter
  • Change jet pump oil
  • Drain gas and 2 stroke oil
  • New battery
Any other suggestions?

We also have a 95 GTX. What is the best 2 stroke oil I can run in the 95 and 97?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5384.png
    IMG_5384.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
Replace the fuel selector and the small 3/32" oil injection lines.

For your engines you can run any API-TC rated oil, Lucas makes one, Mystic, Amsoil or Seadoo XPS "Carb" or XPS "E-TEC 2T".

Is this the tubing you would use for the oil injection lines (McMaster website Tygon-tubing)?

What is the procedure for bleeding the oil injection lines?

Attachments

• Tygon Tubing.png
    Tygon Tubing.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 19
Tygon is the correct type of tubing. There is a bleeder screw on the side of the oil pump to bleed air from the feed line. Then start the engine and reach down and hold the lever on the pump wide open with engine at idle until all the air bubbles disappear from lines. Should bleed out fast.

You can also buy the 3/32” small engine fuel hose from a mower shop or even Home Depot has it.

You will not find hose clamps small enough.

I use the good Thomas & Betts zip ties with the stainless locking tab.
zip.jpg

I started my 1997 GTI for the first time in 8 years after following the recommendations of the forum:
  • Replace gray fuel lines
  • Replace spark plugs
  • Replace fuel filter & o-ring
  • Rebuild carburetor with genuine Mikuni kit
  • Replace oil lines big and small
  • Replace oil filter
  • Change jet pump oil
  • Drain gas and 2 stroke oil
  • New ASM battery
With about 1oz of premix down the carb it started with no cranking. Thanks to all.

Next question, I am taking it to Havasu next weekend. The carb high and low are set to the factory specs. Should I leave the flame arrestor and silencer off until I do the fine tune the carburetor on the water?

No, never run it with the air cleaner off and there is no reason the "fine tune" the carbs. A stock seadoo will run perfectly with the stock settings. If it doesn't you have something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back