1997 challenger parts boat

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

toy4runr

Hey folks, I own a 1999 Speedster.

I have found an old 97 challenger with 787s and I was wondering if I should get it as a parts boat? Do any parts other than the engine blocks interchange? Thanks for your guidance....

Well, your speedster has twin 720's, whereas the Challenger has twin 787s. The pumps and maybe the same, carbs are similar, maybe the rear seat foam is similar. Not too many interchangeable parts imho. Those Challenger had to be a nightmare to keep going. Had to be a dog being such a huge boat with only two 787s pushing it. And keeping two of those maintained and fuelled.... not worth it. I converted my single engine 97 Challenger to a 4tec. It's just like your speedster. Love that boat!

Well, your speedster has twin 720's, whereas the Challenger has twin 787s. The pumps and maybe the same, carbs are similar, maybe the rear seat foam is similar. Not too many interchangeable parts imho. Those Challenger had to be a nightmare to keep going. Had to be a dog being such a huge boat with only two 787s pushing it. And keeping two of those maintained and fuelled.... not worth it. I converted my single engine 97 Challenger to a 4tec. It's just like your speedster. Love that boat!

I think a lot of what was said here is a matter of opinion, but I agree that not enough parts would interchange to make it worthwhile.

Kool, thanks for the input! I will keep my eyes peeled for a speedster, or maybe a jet ski with a 787... I'd like to get a core before one of my engines goes.....

Kool, thanks for the input! I will keep my eyes peeled for a speedster, or maybe a jet ski with a 787... I'd like to get a core before one of my engines goes.....

I apologize. I assumed what the previous poster said was correct about your engines. But it was not. If you have a 787s in your boat then that Challenger with twin 787s might look more attractive.

Yup, mine has twin 787s, so I was thinking it would have the engines as cores (one of them supposedly runs) and then the mpem or brain, the ignition systems....etc...

Oh in that case you NEED it. With 787s you'll def need the parts. I've owned enough to know. Make sure the drain hose off the cylinders is clear. Check all fittings for shells. I had one with a shell stuck in it and it blew so many engines. Only found it when I was converting to 4tec. It was in the muffler. Damn hard to pull that part on the 14ft challenger.

If it happens to have the sundeck option I would be interested in the armrests, even if they need a lot of work. And I know you'll never need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back