1997 challenger 1800 issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ericauch

wanted some opinion on the steps I should take to fix this boat right.
So I bought a 1997 challenger 1800 under these presumptions:
-5 months ago it had the left engine replaced with a rebuilt and bored engine but wasn’t tuned or adjusted
-5 months ago all of the carbs were rebuilt
-It hasn’t seen water in 2 years
-There is water leaking into hull unknown source
-New battery
-new wiring harness
-few other minor issues

so i started it up out of water and I noticed some flow issues for the left engine fresh water outlet there was water coming out from under the ski rope hook at fairly high speed.

left engine runs and idles well at 3k rpm
Right engine idles at 1.5k rpm took a bit to get it idleing

next I took it to the water right engine holds idle at about 1200rpm. But is sputters and won’t go over 3.5k rpm feels like a rev limit. Left engine won’t idle it just diesbut it purrs like a kitten when I rev it and goes to 7k rpm.
Verified all the hull leaks are coming from loose bulkhead fittings and a bilge hose. I also have go get a new fuel sending unit float to fix the fuel gauge.

so to fix the engines this is my preposed tactic.

-First I have no idea how old the fuel and oil or what type are in each tank. So I plan on draining both and replacing all hoses.
-Next check compression on both engines.
-Next replace fuel and oil filters.
-waiting on shop book so I can properly tune and adjust idles and chokes for engines.
-clean out internal carb fuel filters
-Clean all rave valves.
-check to ensure each engine is getting oil.
-check exhaust hoses for blistering.
-replace all bilge hoses
-also the left engine throttle just falls it has no resistance and I can’t find the resistance screw to change that.
So that’s the plan as of now if anyone has any other ideas let me know. Thanks I will post once I get each thing done and if it changes anything.

Last edited:
Unknown Leak - I worked on my first boat (Seadoo) a couple of weeks ago, just help a guy out. His boat was taking on water really bad. So we went to the launch and left the boat tied down completely on the trailer. The seam where the rub rail is was allowing water to pour in. I didn't look to the why but it sure was strange as there was no sign of damage or a previous repair. That part of the boat is generally not under water but I'd be with a couple people on the swim step it might be a problem. So you might want to check that. I think the boat might have been a sportster 2005 951 engine. Good Luck !!

On a side note, before I work on another Seadoo boat and bend and bruise my freakin ribs and stomach trying to reach parts... I"ll take an azz whippin. :D :D LOL My chest hurts just reminding my self. Talk about a workout !!! Ouch!!

So I tested compression 150-155 psi on each cylinder on both engines which was surprising. Checked rave valves and right engine needs to be cleaned but aren’t that bad.

Update.

-complete fuel system rebuild finished.
-carbs were crap even though I was told they were just rebuilt
-blew head gasket while on fresh water hose so I rebuilt top end of older engine
-after I finish rebuilding carbs hope it runs smooth wish me luck.

as to your water issue: i just posted this in another thread, but i will add it here too.

take a look at the exhaust hoses that make the connection between your baffle/resonator where it "t's" into the horizontal hoses in the transom. they are up inside the transom and difficult to get access to. i recently had a problem where i seemed to only be getting water inside the boat when the engines were running. this turned out to be my issue. that hose is nla from the dealer if you need to replace it. however, Gates sells model 21492 radiator hose. 2 1/2" on the top molded down to 2". you will probably need to cut about 3/4" off each end to make it fit properly. i just replaced one of mine this afternoon in fact.

in your case, i can almost guarantee it is your starboard engine exhaust hose since you say water runs out of the tow hook point as this hose is right next to that inside the hull.

On a side note, before I work on another Seadoo boat and bend and bruise my freakin ribs and stomach trying to reach parts... I"ll take an azz whippin. :D :D LOL My chest hurts just reminding my self. Talk about a workout !!! Ouch!!

I bought a cheap dog bed. Whenever i'm doing engine work while it's in the boat i lay it over the back seat or where the engine cover hinges and lay across it. i promise it's the best $30 you'll spend for working on these boats!

I bought a cheap dog bed. Whenever i'm doing engine work while it's in the boat i lay it over the back seat or where the engine cover hinges and lay across it. i promise it's the best $30 you'll spend for working on these boats!

thats not a bad idea. i usually will lay or sit on the square life preserver that i carry in the boat anyway.

if i am going to be in there doing something major, i will disconnect 6 hood bolts at the hinge and pry off the shocks-thus completely removing the hood for easier access. this would be for doing carb rebuilds or something of that nature. i do often find myself climbing into the compartment to work on something or another. i usually put my feet on the air cleaners since they are built pretty stout.

these boats certainly were not built with the mechanic in mind.

the dog bed works great because it folds around the side of the engine bay, covers the hinges on the lid and you can shift and reposition yourself and it pretty much stays where you put it. Aside from the blood running to your head from being upside down it makes the whole experience much more pleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back