1996 XP Rave Valves.....

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Banditsteve

Hi All,
I am new here and got my first jet ski a few months ago (1996 XP) which has a few problems I am trying to rectify but I have a couple of questions I need help with. To cut a long story short, the biggest fault now (and always has been) is poor starting in the water. Its fine on the trailer but once its sat for 5 mins in the water it takes a few seconds of cranking to get it going again. So far I have 1 - Fitted a new battery (Now better cranking) 2 - Cleaned carbs out and rebuilt using genuine mikuni diapragms and gaskets etc and set both pop offs to 34psi (Smoother running and pulls better) 3 - Clipped 1/4 inch off plug leads ( No difference) 4 - Cleaned and greased all electrical connections ( No difference) So I have now got the rave valves out and cleaning them up as they dribble a bit of oil out. They are black and oily and carboned up but I dont suppose they are too bad but dont know too much history of the ski so dont know when they were last cleaned. So onto my questions if you are still with me? Hehe......
1 - Should the red adjusters on the rave valves be level with the top of the black cap as they are currently a couple of turns in from level?
2 - How is the little 'o' ring supposed to act as an oil seal? As it cant seat against the housing unless the rave valve is fully open? Or is it just there to be a cushion when the rave valve opens to stop it hitting the housing? Or am I missing something?
3 - I haven't touched the water regulator valve in the exhaust muffler, but where should the red adjuster on that be? Should it be level with the black cap? Cos that is where it is at the moment.
4 - Lastly - Where are the vents situated on the fuel system and how do I check them? I assume they are just one way valves but not sure.
If anybody has any guidance for me I would be very grateful. This ski is driving me mad not starting well on the water but I still love it and it mekes me smile and that is the whole point isn't it!!!! Hehe. Keep up the great work guys - I have got so much information from this forum and you are all stars!!! Look forward to hearing from you soon.... Cheers, Steve :cheers:

The most common cause of hard to start on that motor is rotary valve clearance.Wornout RV cover plate causes less suction to be made to pull gasoline from the carbs. The motor relys on vacume to draw gas into it when cranking. Result, hard to start anytime, especially a cold motor.
Its about $25 to have that re-machined. This will fix your problem. A primer kit
installation is also recommended. Easy quick starting means longer starter life
and a more happy experience. Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
n/s springs

re-install the oem springs in the n/s assy. Your ski is "pop'n off to early or your needles have a slight lift to it, causing the excess gas, after idling to long.

Turn the red adjusters on the RAVES to full bottom, then back 3-clicks, and leave the W,R, (rave on waterbox) alone, if you havn't touched it, if so, then turn it to "flush" with cap.

1996 xp ......

Thanks for the replies guys. Like I said, its my first jet ski and I dont know a great deal about them at the moment. Cars and bikes yes, but jet skis no, but learning rapidly!! Hehe. I fitted the original springs back in the carbs cos the repair kits didn't have the right colour (weight) springs in them. And no I haven't touched the water regulator valve. Just wanted to check what the setting should be co obviously its an olsd ski and has probably had lots of stuff played around with in the past. As for the rotary valve clearance, yes that could be another possibility but sick of spending time and money on it. The idea was to just to get a cheap ski to see if I enjoyed it. Would I get the same result by just bolting an electric fuel pump on and removing the pulse line if its vacuum leaking which is causing the fuel pressure to drop? Did I understand you right? Thanks again for the replies. Cheers, Steve :cheers:

Primer...

Thanks Guys,
I hope to get my rave valves back on at the weekend cos my new gaskets have arrived and then I will have a look round for a primer and see if that helps! Fingers crossed. Thanx again, Steve :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back