1996 spx starting issue...HELP!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bari

i just got a 2 jet skis..a 1996 spx and 1996 spi..so pretty much the same ski except the spx has a larger motor. I get them to the lake put them in the water and start them. They both seem to run well and strong..I let them warm up and then we get going. Obviously there was a lot of smoke because it was winterized. I warmed them up until there was no more smoke. I rode the spi for about 10 min and everytime i would bring it to full throttle it would stall...but start right back up...i decided to take it out of the water it was annoying me. I am now riding the spx and it runs great for 35 minutes. I let off the throttle and it stalls not turing over again. I couldnt hear anything when i hit the button to start it. So i thought mabye a fuse. Changed the fuses and stil nothing. SO i ddecided to put the jump box on it and i still got nothing. This happened on both skis so what do i do ? this is my first time on the water. Help..is it a starter? ahhhh!

When you winterized the ski's did you put stabil in the gas? Sounds like a fuel delivery problem.

Trying to start the ski with a jump box is not good. You might have smoked the mpem.

For a start get the compression settings and let us know. We need to start somewhere.

Lou

i just got the skis 3 months ago..i didnt winterize anything. Ive never owned jetskis before. And i may have done something to the mpem..but what is that? what does that abbreviation mean..and i jumped them like 3 times before. I changed the fuses in the fuse box i got new batterys. When i go to start them i dont hear anything. Not even a click

When you jump your mpem you can cause it to fry itself. You may need to replace them and they arent cheap. It is you skis main computer.

shit there like 150 to 250 on ebay...you think thats what i did to them? how do i test this?

it is fully charged and i got nothing...:mad:..Now do i need to replace everything in the electrical box? or do i just replace the black thing in there.. think its the computer..idk im pretty stupid. I have to replace 2 of them too

Ouch man that sucks. I've never had to replace them so idk. I got your answers buy searching for it on this sight. From what I can tell its inside the box so it must just plug in to it somehow. If my ski had one I would check for you. I'm sure some one with experience will chime in. You will also have to have a dealer program your keys to the mpem.

Read up on Rotary Valve cover oil lines useing the search. Get a Shop Manual specific for each ski and read it cover to cover first before you DIY. Read the STICKY at forum top and buy some metric tools if DIY. Hang out a few times in a local shop or with any buds who have mid '90
ski's to find out maintenance first hand. By reading, you can learn the jargon and similiar posts by people with same ski's. Wrenching on these
is an art easily learned, even with big hands. It would help us help you by being familiar with Seadoo terms. Never ride if the performance is below 100 %. Fix it first before it costs you $$$$$$$$.

Ouch man that sucks. I've never had to replace them so idk. I got your answers buy searching for it on this sight. From what I can tell its inside the box so it must just plug in to it somehow. If my ski had one I would check for you. I'm sure some one with experience will chime in. You will also have to have a dealer program your keys to the mpem.

'95's don't have "programmable" MPEMs. He has non-dess safety lanyard ski's.

BARI,
each of your ski's have a grey "brain" box next to (left of) gas tank. It is secured to a floor shoe, just pull back on the lever by engine front to lift and pull back, then gently finagle it to sit on the Magnito houseing so you can open it. (take battery out of the way.) The "brain"
MPEM module is in there, starter relay, 15amp(system) & 5amp(mpem) fuses, and Rectifier. Your shop manual will spell it out what each does
and is pictoralized.

this is just a mess..im almost positive i fried the computer...well ill be digging in my pockets deep...i fried the mpem's

yeap i pulled them apart pretty easy to do.. I really appreciate the help guys.. I'm going to make sure its the mpems and order them tomorow. Its definately them. THanks a lot for the assistance.

'95's don't have "programmable" MPEMs. He has non-dess safety lanyard ski's.

You are correct. Thank you for clearing that up and for giving him directions. I just know what happened but not what to change out.
Bari,
I have learned alot from this site and take advantage of it. I am also in the process of fixing my fuel delivery problem and all these guys have been great. Learn all you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back