1996 Seadoo XP No Spark

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

PwcRyan

I've done some digging via Google, but I haven't found anything fitting my specific issues. So my apologies if this seems repetitive.

I have a 1996 Seadoo Xp 787. My girlfriend was out riding it and cut it off to coast through a no wake zone and it wouldn't restart. We got the ski on a trailer and I noticed at quite a bit of water in the hull, but not so much that it got into any of the electronics. We got it back to the house and it fired up after adding some gas. So I didn't think anything of it. The next weekend I went out to start it up and it wouldn't fire. The starter decided to fail shortly thereafter. Here's what I've done/found thus far: after the starter stopped working, I went ahead and replaced the starter and starter solenoid with brand new parts. I still had no spark, but I had voltage at the white wire going to the coil. Around 24 to 30 volts then it would lower as it was cranking. So I assumed that the ignition coil was the issue. I replaced the coil and still no spark. With the failure of the starter, I assumed that the Magneto and pick up we're likely introduced to water and may be damaged. I removed the cover and a small amount of water came out, but the pickup bracket was still in good shape. I hear they break at times. I decided to go ahead and replace the Magneto and pick up anyways with brand new parts. However, I'm still not getting any spark. The small black ground wire that goes into the ignition coil box has perfect continuity and is properly grounded. All fuses are good, front and rear. Battery is fully charged at around 13 and a half volts and I'm getting two beeps when connecting the mpem key. I went into the mpem box and inspected the wires and connections as well as the mpem, CDI, and rectifier. Everything seems in good shape and nothing is burnt. I'm going to assume this is some kind of controls issue and put the blame on the mpem module, but has anyone seen this problem with these specific issues?

Pull boot off of spark plug wires. Clip 1/4” off and reinstall boots. Make sure they are on good.

Pull boot off of spark plug wires. Clip 1/4” off and reinstall boots. Make sure they are on good.
I've done that. On the original coil and on the brand new coil and with brand new boots. Didn't work either time.

Do you have a tach installed on the ski? If so, does it show a reading when you crank it over? The inductive tachometers take a reading from the plug wire itself, so if it shows a reading, you at least are getting a pulse.

How have you tested for fire? Are you certain you are getting gas?
Stuck a bolt into the boot and held it near a head nut with no arc. Did the same with a plug installed into the boot while grounding it to the head. Definitely not getting spark. Plugs while installed are getting saturated with gas. Plenty of fuel.

Do you have a tach installed on the ski? If so, does it show a reading when you crank it over? The inductive tachometers take a reading from the plug wire itself, so if it shows a reading, you at least are getting a pulse.
No tach, but i tested the white wire before and after the mag and pickup change and i got a signal both times.

Have you checked the battery voltage while cranking? Sometimes a battery will static test to the correct voltage, but provide enough juice under load... Trying to get the simple/inexpensive things out of the way before you start throwing more parts at it.

Have you checked the battery voltage while cranking? Sometimes a battery will static test to the correct voltage, but provide enough juice under load... Trying to get the simple/inexpensive things out of the way before you start throwing more parts at it.
Battery cranking voltage is great! Starter spins over like a champ. I understand and appreciate the help!

Is the white signal wire is on the - side of the coil?
Speaking from memory, but I'm thinking it's the white wire going to the cdi. Supposed to be the signal for the ignition. I was getting the voltage reading of about 1.5v. Couldn't find a spec for that voltage or what it should be, but i was getting a reading.

The white wire at the coil is getting plenty of voltage, but it needs to be switched on and off by the trigger in order for it to jump the internal windings to make the spark.

Is the white signal wire is on the - side of the coil?
That's what makes me think it's something to do with the cdi or the mpem. I've read that if you get two beeps that the mpem is typically not the issue and that the rectifier won't typically cause a no spark issue.

There is a + and a - molded into the plastic near the flat blades that the wires slide on. One would think that the black wire goes on the - one but I'm seeing different.

I test that white wire with a 12 bulb and I get a slight glow with the engine spinning over good. If your getting that then the MPEM, pick up(trigger) and the CDI are doing their thing. The MPEM can perform all other functions but cause a no spark issue. The rectifier is on the charging side and will not cause a no spark issue.

I test that white wire with a 12 bulb and I get a slight glow with the engine spinning over good. If your getting that then the MPEM, pick up(trigger) and the CDI are doing their thing. The MPEM can perform all other functions but cause a no spark issue. The rectifier is on the charging side and will not cause a no spark issue.
I've got a test light on storage. I'm going to grab it tomorrow. And if you can believe it, my kawasaki stand up ignition circuit just died today. Can't win.

Still haven't gotten my test light from storage, but I have a question. With the dess key installed what should the white wire that connects to the ignition coil read(not while cranking). Mine ranges from 24-30v. Is that low? I am out of town right now, but after a bit of digging I've found that a large portion of these issues can be caused by corrosion in the white wire or a poor ground. Since I know for a fact that my ground is perfect (0 ohms). I'm going to look into the white wire coming from the cdi (since the issue came about after the ski took on water). In the off chance that the cdi is to blame, does anyone have a working cdi that they'd be willing to ship two day or even overnight so that I can have it by Friday (May 17th)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back