• This site contains eBay affiliate links for which Sea-Doo Forum may be compensated.

1996 Seadoo SPX 717

Scotty87

Seadoo Spx 717 with no spark.

Have 2 aftermarket mpem 1 came with the ski and 1 I bought new. I have metered the voltage going to coil without the stator plugged in and shows 12v. As soon as I plug in the connector to stator it goes to zero. Is this normal?? I have swapped stator with same result.

Also does anyone know what's the most minimal things that need to be plugged in to get it up and running ie stator, temp sensor, gauges etc??

I've been at this for some time. I'm trying to completely refurb this ski and get it back out on the water for my son but not looking like I'm going to get there as I've hit a wall at this point.

OK good to know. First time messing around with a jetski to be honest. I bought it as a project for me and my son to do together and have some fun on. I purchased the replacement aftermarket mpem as that's what was in it already so assumed they work. Link below:

MPEM Box CDI Ignition 278001135 278000423 For SeaDoo SP SPX SPI GTX HX XP | eBay

I'm in the UK and it's very difficult to get parts unfortunately. My 1996 seadoo spx is the model prior to dess I think, cdi built into coil. Is there any other mpem I can use from different models?

thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Hi guys thanks for your responses. It's much appreciated. I don't currently have access to factory mpem for now.

I bought aftermarket stator, coil and rectifier and another 3rd party mpem as I had no spark after buying ski. I couldnt find the issue. Tried rectifier first and didn't help. Then coil, didn't work. Then stator. None of it worked. But I did notice a little corrosion on factory stator when removing it and thought that could be causing the issue but thought I've already got it off may aseell put new one in. Not realising it was going to cause further problems. Yous are definitely correct about aftermarket parts!!

Soo put all factory parts back in after cleaning up old stator. As I said unfortunately don't have factory mpem. I was about to take spark plugs out to check for spark but was a little tired at this point to be honest. So just hit start button and it fired right up on first turn. Woohoo first I've heard it run.

It would cut out after couple of seconds and if I accelerate it dies. I rebuilt the carbs they were well overdue . I was given a kit with the ski but don't know their origin. I put back to factory settings. Checked pop off both were comming in at 34-35 psi which I think is OK??

Started up again and idles no problem. But now it reacts to me accelerating but rather than dying like before it gets carried away and just continues to rev high uncontrollably even after I've let go of accelerator.

Is this something being caused by the aftermarket mpem or is there another issue that could cause this??

Again any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I would do a leak down test to see if you can find where it’s sucking air from, you could pressure test your fuel system first in case that’s the issue, possible leak from the fuel selector valve, fuel filter/water seperator or possible leak from the carb gaskets. Don’t drive them, if they aren’t working perfectly, glad to hear you got it running though, good job

Again thanks everyone. So I noticed when tightening up carbs that one bolt wasn't tightening correctly so assumed maybe air was getting in underneath. Threads were gubbed. So ordered a new bolt slightly longer and it done the trick. Thought to myself hopefully that's it. So started it up. It ran for 10-20 sec. Got to throttle a tiny bit and then it died. Was struggling to get it started again.. Think the outer bottom seal at drive shaft side has went. Had little dark coloured oil around it and a little puff of smoke comming out. I pressume this is probably were the leak was anyway??

Just need to decide if its worth saving at this point. I'm mechanical minded and could do full rebuild. Good for experience. But dont think it may be worth it. What do you think guys?

Last edited:
If you put in an aftermarket carb kit that could be a problem. The diaphragms are too thick on some among other things. Check the carbs for leaks make sure they are spot on. Make sure you little holes in the diaphragm cover are not blocked. Open the adjusters to give the ski more fuel. Does your carb have an accelerator pump? Those can be troublesome. If the ski starts and runs I'd look for problems outside the engine. Good Luck !!

spray some starting fluid around the seals and the base of the carbs. See if the engine revs up. Good Luck !!

Again thanks everyone. So I noticed when tightening up carbs that one bolt wasn't tightening correctly so assumed maybe air was getting in underneath. Threads were gubbed. So ordered a new bolt slightly longer and it done the trick. Thought to myself hopefully that's it. So started it up. It ran for 10-20 sec. Got to throttle a tiny bit and then it died. Was struggling to get it started again.. Think the outer bottom seal at drive shaft side has went. Had little dark coloured oil around it and a little puff of smoke comming out. I pressume this is probably were the leak was anyway??

Just need to decide if its worth saving at this point. I'm mechanical minded and could do full rebuild. Good for experience. But dont think it may be worth it. What do you think guys?
Your thinking it’s an outer crank seal? I’ve never done one on Seadoo but I have done crank seals on a ski Doo, if you can verify that, that’s your issue, it won’t be a terrible amount at all for the parts, only guessing, but say 40.00 for new crank seals, another 30.00 for a gasket set, 20.00 for incidentals. Be a bit of work, longer for me as I need to read everything first and double check and ask a million questions but for someone that knew what they were doing, I would say 5 or 6 hours of work from taking motor out to having it back in.

Easiest complete kit is WSM 007-623 Complete Gasket Kit, should be about $80.
I would pressure test the engine before you pull it apart to make sure where the leak is and for sure after putting it back together. 8 psi for 10 minutes.

Back