RESTO 1996 Seadoo HX for $300 that I got running. What now?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
PWC Muscle is currently open, Hydro Turf however is closed for the time being.. :(

Hydroturf is a California "Non-Essential" company so it is anyone's guess how long we will be closed here in Cali.

Finished the process of buffing and polishing today, entire ski is waxed now too.

Same process as the previous ones just one the hood now, wet sanded with 1000 grit, did 2 sweeps with 2000 grit since I wanted to make sure I got all the 1000 grit scratches out since the hood is the most visible and I was wanting a good finish out of it. Finished it off with 3000 grit two sweeps around the whole hood.B94168E9-13C2-4E39-BEA5-8D62214C49D7.jpeg

Opened up the can of worms with getting the trailer prepped for paint. Was thinking once the lift is freed up I could put some straps on the ski to make it easier to access the rest of the trailer. Using my grinder and getting out each rust spot was a pain. Glaze over the pinholes and now it’s just sand prime sand paint for that now. Picked up a cheap set of LED lights just to get going over at harbor freight. Might have the guy who does our pinstripes stripe the trailer the colors of the seadoo for me when I’m all done.61B4DAEA-7E48-4426-A6DB-736CC82F8683.jpeg

Current status of the ski, getting the seat off was pretty easy actually. Ordering the jettrim seat cover tomorrow, already talked with one of the sales rep about the customization of it. Shame.. my wsm shock cover is already deteriorating? Any one else have any issues with that?
3209073C-A540-4355-A69B-24A11B95F580.jpeg

Also what are the chances a mouse made a nest inside the cooling system? On the left of the jet pump there's this tube with threads on the end that was filled with clay and what looked like mouse droppings?Needing to buff the underside of the ski and its pretty much ready to go on the water. Oil leak was fixed with a hose clamp, degreased the inside again and it looks clean to me.

I didn't even take the cover off the HX last year so I hope my WSM seat boot is ok.
yeah pretty disappointed it's already wanting to fall apart on me.. made it seem like I had dipped my hands in black paint. Although with the seat off it'd be a breeze to swap in a different one.

Mats came in and look really good, black marble with cut groove looks sick! Looks way better in person than online, just confirmed my customization on my jettrim order too. Just went with smooth vinyl yellow/black nothing crazy.

Can't register the ski since everything is closed now but I know TWRA is on the water already, I wonder if they'd let me pass?

I've heard of some people buying aftermarket starter solenoids, I don't want to get stranded with a cheap one though. OEM one is $43, is it worth the buy?

Took it out on the water today with no seat lol, honestly the ski ran great. Has a cavitation issue I need to address but other than that no problem, except for the solenoid not wanting to work at the ramp. Pisser cleared out and has strong flow. All I need to do now is wait for the jettrim seat cover to come in, order some cosmetic bits and decals. Wear ring looks shot so i'll probably just end up swapping that up when I get this 1997 GSX I bought yesterday running and puttering about lol.

jettrim seat came in Monday, really happy with how it turned out. Definitely worth the money from what I can tell.
A292F6CF-2F11-4798-BBCF-E3F3B62249A6.jpegA50EEC1A-2656-4E2D-9000-9EB4002C20E8.jpeg
Installed the mats in yesterday as well, really happy with the fit and black marble look, really glad I got the 3m adhesive too made installation easy
9AC62491-6775-4E07-9634-EDC1E6B11818.jpeg

Plugs look like they’re turning a nice brown after around 10min of riding? Look a Little wet since I had just started it for a couple seconds before taking them out to get some leftover water out.
C78B1862-F0E0-4B82-A48B-DF7403BEC934.jpeg42425D1F-CA18-4B5F-A275-4C7D98D243FC.jpeg
definitely found my cavitation issue though when I shined a light at my jet pump, there’s no wear ring left haha. You weren’t kidding when you said that they can come apart from age and sitting.
Was still wanting to take it out this weekend for a small run but if I remember correctly, this will most likely effect my cooling ability? Either way, new wear ring and oil for pump are being ordered. Along with the neoprene seal. Anything else I should order too?

Ordered these orings, pump oil, a neoprene seal, wear ring, and the pump oil anything else I need to order? First time pulling the pump on this ski. Any procedures/tools I'll be needing?
1587871841182.png

I honestly have not gone through all the pages here, but pwcgraphics makes a full OEM reproduction graphics kit. I don't recall how much it is, but if you want to truly do a full exterior refresh I would remove your old decals, cut and polish the hull, and get the graphics kit. His stuff is top notch quality.

Alright, took it for its first official test ride Thursday for a couple hours. Bearings in pump where still in great condition from what I can tell, pump oil definitely hasn't been changed in the 25 years or so, new orings and used about 6oz of the oil when filling it up, spinning the impeller and rotating the pump around to get all of the air bubbles out. When I had installed the wear ring, I just put some soapy water around the pump and on the ring, used some rotten deck wood and a brick and tapped in place.. lolIMG_3575.JPGIMG_3578.JPGIMG_3577.JPG

Loctite 518 on impeller shaft threads, between the nozzle and pump, loctite 243 on every other bolt on the pump, and the pipe sealant on the little fill plug on pump cone, neoprene seal didn't come in, in time for the weekend and was really itching to get it on the water, figured it was only 4 bolts to get the thing off and on so it wouldn't be a problem. Experienced 0 cavitation when on the water, although still going to put it on when it comes in. Greased up the driveshaft end also.
IMG_3611.JPG
Ski ran great, when you get through the grunt of the bottom and the thing flies, probably a little low on HP from my lower compression but that'll probably be for another winter. Plugs are a nice brown color. Pipe was warm to the touch after the hours+ worth of riding so I'd say the cooling system is operating like it should.

Jumped some waves on the thing and ended up landing on the skis side with a mouth full of water haha, had to swim like 20ft to go catch after that haha. Submarining is also another thing this thing is so great at, honestly don't think any other ski could replicate the same feeling when riding this. Jettrim seat is super comfortable and the hydroturf mats are really nice on the feet. Noticed some hackjob on what looks like how you'd set the trim on the ski? Might play with that for a bit to see what it'd do one day.

After I brought it back from the water and it sat overnight, what looked like orange old fuel had came out the fuel tank vent line, probably some residual junk from when it had sat for its couple of years with the PO, fuel filter still leaks very clean so I don't have any worries with that.

This ski rocks!
IMG_3613.JPG

Someone here added the electrical VTS to their HX and said it’s awesome. Maybe @racerxxx?
Yes that was me. The HX is Phenomenal ski. It's a love it or hate it. The addition of fully adjustable on the fly vts completely changes the ski. Trim all the way down, stuff the bow in the water, crank a 90° turn and watch the HX just submarine and the water will sheet up over you. So much effing fun!

Here's my write up.

https://www.seadooforum.com/threads/how-to-add-genuine-seadoo-electric-vts-to-your-hx.74135/

Yes that was me. The HX is Phenomenal ski. It's a love it or hate it. The addition of fully adjustable on the fly vts completely changes the ski. Trim all the way down, stuff the bow in the water, crank a 90° turn and watch the HX just submarine and the water will sheet up over you. So much effing fun!

Here's my write up.

https://www.seadooforum.com/threads/how-to-add-genuine-seadoo-electric-vts-to-your-hx.74135/
Awesome!! Maybe during the winter season I can find me a parts ski without having to spend too much, given that everything would work on it.. lol

I don't know what the PO did with the manual trim system but it seems to have been replaced with an "expertly" fabricated piece of metal with nice patina and a couple eyeballed drilled holes for the trim ring..

Was thinking of adding in a fuel gauge in the ski as well, I heard I'd need the gauge, wiring, and baffle from a 96 GTX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back