1996 Seadoo GTX Engine maxing at 3500 RPM's

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareit13

Hello, Iv searched many of the similar threads and cannot find anyone that got any luck on this! I bought the Jet Ski used and figured it would be a fun little project and got a pretty good deal on it. When I first got it the owner said it needed a new starter but looking down in the hull there was a ton of oil, but still had oil in the reservoir so this threw me off. I cleaned as much of the oil as I could and threw a battery in and got it starting. When I ran it on the trailer it started fine and ran good and could get high rpms, I took it off in the water twice and could only get to 3500 rpms. I tried unplugging the rectifier and that had no effect and I had the seat off and no water was coming in through the seal. Im sure Im gonna have to rebuild the fuel lines and all, but any other tricks to test for what it could be? The engine also made some popping every so often and it sounded like it was coming from the front!

I assume the ski has new spark plugs. :) If you have not yet rebuilt the carburetors, do so and make sure the small holes in the throat are clear. Follow Mikidymac's carb rebuild thread there is very good information in there. I have a 1996 and 1997 GTXs. I spent a lot of time on the carbs and did some experimenting. I had an issue like you are having. The Pop off on both sets of carbs on my skis are at the top of the recommended range and these skis run their best. Good Luck !!

I assume the ski has new spark plugs. :) If you have not yet rebuilt the carburetors, do so and make sure the small holes in the throat are clear. Follow Mikidymac's carb rebuild thread there is very good information in there. I have a 1996 and 1997 GTXs. I spent a lot of time on the carbs and did some experimenting. I had an issue like you are having. The Pop off on both sets of carbs on my skis are at the top of the recommended range and these skis run their best. Good Luck !!
1996 GTX RFI - no carbs....fuel injectors.

Hello, Iv searched many of the similar threads and cannot find anyone that got any luck on this! I bought the Jet Ski used and figured it would be a fun little project and got a pretty good deal on it. When I first got it the owner said it needed a new starter but looking down in the hull there was a ton of oil, but still had oil in the reservoir so this threw me off. I cleaned as much of the oil as I could and threw a battery in and got it starting. When I ran it on the trailer it started fine and ran good and could get high rpms, I took it off in the water twice and could only get to 3500 rpms. I tried unplugging the rectifier and that had no effect and I had the seat off and no water was coming in through the seal. Im sure Im gonna have to rebuild the fuel lines and all, but any other tricks to test for what it could be? The engine also made some popping every so often and it sounded like it was coming from the front!
Your problem reaks of a FUEL DELIVERY issue.....time to service those injectors. These older skis need a good battery and good fuel delivery to make them go and perform their best.

I'm not indepthly knowledgeable concerning Seadoo models and such. I have not encountered a 1996 that was RFI so I took it for granted it was a carb model. Ckrawiec is spot on in my opinion. I'd also add that you need to check your fuel pressure and replace the fuel filters in the module.

You may have a bad injector. Check the Ohm readings on all the electrical components. I recently had a bad rev limiter on a RFI that wouldn't let me get over 4150rpm. But it sounded like a bad rev limiter. :D

Last edited:
Your problem reaks of a FUEL DELIVERY issue.....time to service those injectors. These older skis need a good battery and good fuel delivery to make them go and perform their best.

Dude looking at your "watercraft list" I'd say you need a few more. LOL Day-Yum !!! you got a stable or should I say... Harem. :D

Sorry guys, 1996 GTX is NOT a RFI, RFI didn't come out until 1998 so sounds like carbs need to be done.

I'm not indepthly knowledgeable concerning Seadoo models and such. I have not encountered a 1996 that was RFI so I took it for granted it was a carb model. Ckrawiec is spot on in my opinion. I'd also add that you need to check your fuel pressure and replace the fuel filters in the module.

You may have a bad injector. Check the Ohm readings on all the electrical components. I recently had a bad rev limiter on a RFI that wouldn't let me get over 4150rpm. But it sounded like a bad rev limiter. :D
DUH ...ME!.....I typo'ed it...it's a 1999 GTX RFI...not a '96 GTX RFI, I believe you are correct in that all '96ers were carbed models.

Yeah, and about that Harem of water toys/boats (I don't even mention the kayaks, tubes, rafts, floats.....AND my daugther wants another boat (or should I say, as SHE does) -> Daddy, I NEED to have my own boat so I can tool around in......SHOOT ME KNOW!

OH BOY....this is TOTALLY confusing......the TITLE of the POST says 1996 GTX wont get past 3500 rpm....BUT the ski description in the "Watercrafts" list says 1999 GTX RFI.........SO, I assumed the OP meant his 1999 GTX RFI won't get past 3500 rpm...thus the injectors suspicion......my bad....UNLESS the OPer also has a 1996 GTX and it is NOT listed in his Watercraft List (yet????)

OH BOY....this is TOTALLY confusing......the TITLE of the POST says 1996 GTX wont get past 3500 rpm....BUT the ski description in the "Watercrafts" list says 1999 GTX RFI.........SO, I assumed the OP meant his 1999 GTX RFI won't get past 3500 rpm...thus the injectors suspicion......my bad....UNLESS the OPer also has a 1996 GTX and it is NOT listed in his Watercraft List (yet????)
LOL, your good. We can only assume the OP has 2 skis and this one is a 1996 GTX;)

Yeah, and about that Harem of water toys/boats (I don't even mention the kayaks, tubes, rafts, floats.....AND my daugther wants another boat (or should I say, as SHE does) -> Daddy, I NEED to have my own boat so I can tool around in......SHOOT ME KNOW!

I gotta laugh, my kids are too freakin lazy to have boats. Here they have a Dad that love anything with an engine, Hey.... ya'll want a boat? Nah !! Go figure. Cheaper for me though. My kids are in their late 30's. If they didn't look like me and act like me I'd swear they got swapped at the hospital. Son and daughter, both excellent at fixing stuff though. LOL If you were stuck on an island with them you'd have nothing to worry about. They'd figure a way off. LOL You're a Dad that's your job. Ha Ha. :D

This whole thread just made me laugh! And mikidymac was right on the spot, actually three though. Started with one, and really enjoyed working on it so bought a 1996 GSX and GTX for a really good deal, so I was like why not! The one though im experiencing issues with is carbs though, and I ordered the kit and fuel filter, I think I will try just cleaning the selector instead of buying one for now and then also rebuild the fuel lines. I just saw a lot of posts of people saying to change the lines and no one said if it worked or not! Im just trying to sell the GSX and keep working on the GTX's though, I enjoy having a reverse just in case! ;)

I changed over the fuel lines, change fuel filter, went through the carb and cleaned and replaced most of the parts and primed it. When I went to start I don't think I was getting any fuel to the plugs, and most of the time I had backfiring through the carbs and flame. After trying to get it to start so many times with breaks in between, it must have seized and I cannot get any movement with the PTO. Any suggestions on where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back