1996 Seadoo gtx and it won’t crank and a relay clicks.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coopermurray112

Ok so I bought a 1996 gtx and it will not crank and the gauges don’t come on when you go to hit the start button a relay under the front hood clicks and that’s all the ski will do the part number for it is

278000656 I’m not for sure if that’s the problem or something else,thanks​

Pictures would help but the clicking relay is probably the Holder Relay which is a good thing if that is working. When the holder relay kicks in you get power to the rear electrical box and thus the starter. Check and make sure the small ground wire is connected to the battery. There should be 2 wires connected to the ground... the main and the small one that goes into the top of the rear electrical box. Are you getting 2 beeps when you insert the key?

Pictures would help but the clicking relay is probably the Holder Relay which is a good thing if that is working. When the holder relay kicks in you get power to the rear electrical box and thus the starter. Check and make sure the small ground wire is connected to the battery. There should be 2 wires connected to the ground... the main and the small one that goes into the top of the rear electrical box. Are you getting 2 beeps when you insert the key?
There’s no beeps or nothing I will get pictures tomorrow

Ditto etemplet's comment about small ground wire. I had similar issue with my 96 GTX and it was a matter of patience tracking down the problems. In my case, the cable from the battery to the starter had internal corrosion and needed replacement as well as the small ground wire (you can't always tell by looking, use a multi-meter). But the final issue was a loose connector in the front mpem box that fed into the relay holder. When it's loose or corroded, any electrical spike can't "cross the bridge" and therefore significantly reduces a required amperage spec required to complete the circuit. The troubleshooting guides in the manual address this. Be patient and put on your detective hat.

This exact same problem happened on my ski. I bought it and it wouldn't do the things you mentioned. There's a small wire attached to one of the two terminals on the solenoid and it was connected to the wrong terminal. Once I moved it to the other terminal the unit worked just fine. You might try that.

Ditto etemplet's comment about small ground wire. I had similar issue with my 96 GTX and it was a matter of patience tracking down the problems. In my case, the cable from the battery to the starter had internal corrosion and needed replacement as well as the small ground wire (you can't always tell by looking, use a multi-meter). But the final issue was a loose connector in the front mpem box that fed into the relay holder. When it's loose or corroded, any electrical spike can't "cross the bridge" and therefore significantly reduces a required amperage spec required to complete the circuit. The troubleshooting guides in the manual address this. Be patient and put on your detective hat.
This exact same problem happened on my ski. I bought it and it wouldn't do the things you mentioned. There's a small wire attached to one of the two terminals on the solenoid and it was connected to the wrong terminal. Once I moved it to the other terminal the unit worked just fine. You might try that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 17
I check every wire in the thing and nothing at all I checked grounds there good I checked clips and there good besides some old electrical grease I checked dess post and it comes back good I bought a new timer relay and still the same problem

You're gonna have to get the wiring diagram and trace the wires. I bought some tools to disassemble the plugs and check the connections and clean them. It takes a bit of time and you're not finding the problems, you're eliminating the "could be's" from the list. In the end with my GTX there was a white wire with a stripe that was under the rectifier. It was being smashed and this would cause intermittent issues with the ski. It wouldn't do anything... then all of a sudden it would start. I also found dirt in the ground wire plug coming from the DESS post. So.... I hope your journey isn't as bad as mine was. LOL Good Luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back