1996 Sea Doo XP carbon seal or bearing seal carrier???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

newb2jetski

Help! I have a 1996 Sea Doo XP. Notice during last ride that I had taken on water. Upon inspection, found that the fiberglass thru-hull fitting cracked and the drive shaft boot was no longer attached. I have figured out how to replace the thru-hull fitting and have taken off the pump and drive shaft. (The drive shaft and pump came out as one piece...) My question is that the parts forward of the thru-hull fitting don't seem to match the 1996 XP parts list. Specifically, I do not have a support ring or carbon ring (and did not find a c-clip), and I do not have a bellow.

Rather, I have a drive shaft/bearing seal carrier with a "smooth" drive shaft boot. The boot and oetiker/tridon clamps on the flywheel are there, however. My thought was that I could simply reinstall everything once I get the thru hull fitting in place, but was wondering if it makes sense to replace the seal carrier, or if I should try to switch over to the carbon ring set-up (if that is even possible with the shaft I have?) Finally, there are a few videos out there to show how to reinstall the shaft with the carbon ring, but I can't find anything to show how to reinstall the shaft with the bearing seal carrier (and not sure how that is kept from rotating with the shaft...). I also did not see the plugs on either end of the shaft (could these still be in the flywheel and the pump assembly?)

Can anyone provide advice, instruction, pictures, a video, or step-by-step instructions??? (the 1996 shop manual was absolutely no help)

Thanks!

Personally, I like the carrier seal better. I've had issues with the carbon seal allowing air into the pump and causing cavitation. The carrier seal is much better at keeping air/water out, BUT it does require maintenance. You have to grease it on a regular basis, and IF it locks up, it'll tear that rubber boot, creating a huge hole and your ski will start to sink pretty quickly. I recommend everyone have a bilgepump on their ski. I plan to go one step further and install a leak detection system to warn me when I have too much water in the hull.

Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like perhaps mine locked up and that is what caused it to tear off the fiberglass "lip" of the thru-hull.

So that sounds like I should buy a new bearing seal carrier (and make sure it stays lubed). Does the drive shaft boot clamped to it and the thru-hull actually support it/keep it from turning with the shaft (if it is properly greased?)

oh yea. All the pre-1996 skis came with them. If you ride salt, you may want to extra attention to it, but otherwise, they worked really well. You'll find original ones on eBay from the 90's that are still in good shape. Seadoo went away from them because it's an extra maintenance item and if people neglect it, it could sink their ski.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back