1996 polaris SL780 stator assy. question Dr. Honda Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crf4501985

Alrighty, here it goes. I'm working on a 1996 Polaris SL780 for my buddy. The thing quit on him(no spark). So I pulled my OHM meter out and started checking the ignition system. Everything tested out fine but the exciter coil in the stator plate assy. polaris part #171-70110-08. The coil should OHM out at 490 OHMS. It was showing up at less than one OHM. So my buddy ordered up a new one from polaris and I threw it in for him. Well about 45 min. into riding(ran great) the stator wiring harness began to short and melt all the way up to the electrical box. Luckly nothing in the electrical box was damaged. Well it looked like the ground wire (green) melted and took a few of the other wires with it all the way up the wiring harness. That was not cool. So I contacted babbits online where my buddy ordered the part and they were nice enough to replace it. So I just got the new one and decided to test it before installing it. All three tests came up good with the OHM meter but when I went to test the exciter coil again it came up under one OHM (.452) and it should be 490 OHMS. I tried two different testers and came up with the same thing. Now I'm wondering if I have to have the new stator installed, the flywheel installed, the wiring harness hooked up, and the battery hooked up to get the right reading from the OHM meter? Or is it just another bad/brand new stator plate assembly? Sorry for the nover but just needed to explain everything. Thanks again!!

Let me dig into it.

I know on the early Polaris systems, they had an update on the ignition, but I don't know if you need a different CDI with the new stator or not.

I'll post back later today.

OK...

Here's what I come up with... please double check.

1) Red/Purple to Yellow = 0.6 ohms

2) White/yellow to Black = 220 ohms

3) Blue/red to red/white = 90 ohms

4) Red/white to Green/red = 490 ohms

(all 10%, but can be more depending on your meter)

One more thought... if the black (ground wire) melted, then there is a heavy load on the charging system. The ignition coils are high voltage, but low current, and even with a short, they shouldn't be able to melt themselves. Not to mention, if you short the ignition... the engine will stop running.

This may sound strange, but did you check the charging system after putting it back together. (start the engine, and put a meter on the battery) I know his MFD has voltage on it... but they are notoriously wrong.

At 3000 to 5000 RPMs, you should see 13.5v to 14.5 volts.

Also... check the other grounds going to the engine. If all the current is going though that little wire... it's going to melt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, those are the numbers that I have in my book. All of them test out but the red/white green/red test (exciter coil). For some reason I am getting less than one OHM on a BRAND new stator assy. How could that be? The wire that melted on the old stator assy. was the green/red wire.

So I see you mentioned I might need a new CDI with the new stator I installed. Why would that be? I hope not cause thats some mega bucks! Well i'll have to wait to check the charging system until I put the stator in just want to make sure this new stator is good before I put it in. Oh yea, what does MFD stand for?

So I see you mentioned I might need a new CDI with the new stator I installed. Why would that be?

There was an updated CDI unit for the early Polaris skis. I'm not 100% sure if something was changed. But I do know when you get the update kit, it's a new stator, and CDI.

I'll see if I can find anything else on it.

Oh yea, what does MFD stand for?

Multi Function Display.

His ski has a digital display... right?? If it does, the volt meter on it, is known to read low.

Yea, it has the multifunction display and I remember him saying it does read low or blink low voltage or something. I'll have to ask him again. I bought the stator and got no cdi with it. Maybe I should have bought the cdi and got a stator with it...ha How do I check the cd?

You CDI is probably fine.

As far as I can tell... the newer stators should spec out about the same. Sounds like there is an internal short in that one. Send it back, and tell them to check it before sending you a new one.

Yea, that was what I was thinking about doing. I got it through babbit's online. Have you had any luck with them? Thanks for all the help!

Yea, that was what I was thinking about doing. I got it through babbit's online. Have you had any luck with them? Thanks for all the help!

Nope. I ordered some stuff from them once, and I won't do it again. They were very helpful, but it seemed like once you hang up the phone, they don't care.

The short story:

Ordered a few things. almost 2 weeks later, didn't have them, so I call. I was told one of the items was discontinued, and it was holding the order. I said "If it was discontinued, why wasn't I notified?" They had no answer, but I was told the rest of my items would ship that day.

A week later, nothing, so I call again. I was then told, "don't know why they didn't ship. I will get the order out today."

a week later... nothing. So, I call a third time. This time I ask for a manager. I tell her what happened, and how long it took, and that all my items were in stock as of my last conversation with them, and I wanted an upgrade to next day air, or I want a refund. I also told her I wanted a tracking number emailed to me within an hour, or I want a refund. She assured me that I would get an upgrade on my shipping, and I hung up.

After a while, I got a tracking number... but it took 2 days to get to me. They didn't upgrade my shipping as I was told.

SO....

1) why would a part that they couldn't get hold up my order? (like it was a back ordered part)

2) why did it take almost 4 weeks to get a few small parts?

3) why should I have to call them 3 times?

4) I was directly lied to twice. (no shipping upgrade, and didn't ship after the second phone call)

With all of that... I won't order from them again.

For Polaris, I've been ordering from Parts pit-stop. Their prices are good, and I've always gotten stuff quick. The last thing I needed was an electrical item that I knew they would need to order, and I still had it in a week. (Ordered late on a Thursday, and had it the following Tue)

Yea, babbitts has given me the run around so far with this part!! I can't seem to talk to someone that knows what they are doing. The boss is either out on lunch or not in for the day so I end up dealing with the receptionists. Wow, I can't believe what you went through for some parts! Yea, I will not be ordering from them ever again. I just sent back the brand new stator today, they should receive it tues or wed of next week so hopefully they can send me a good part and I can be done with them. Thanks for the link to polaris parts! That was really helpful. It's hard finding a good parts supplier anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back