1996 GTX with 400 hours?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

God of Thunder

Hi everyone! I'm looking at a 96 GTX in really good shape, runs good, looks good, but it has 400 hours. That's averaging around 15 hours a year. However - while it's looking good and running good, I don't know if that's a LOT of hours for an engine. I assume the engine is original and not rebuilt - but the current owner does not know. Any thoughts from the experts?

Post a picture of the engine and we might be able to tell. If it is the original engine, I would factor in the cost of a rebuild or reman when purchasing.

The head and pipe have been off before and it is missing the carb support bracket so someone has been messing with it and did not put it back together correctly.

The head and pipe have been off before and it is missing the carb support bracket so someone has been messing with it and did not put it back together correctly.

I think they said the pipe has been replaced. I'm going to look at it tomorrow so I'll have a better idea as to if anythings been done. Hopefully it has!

Make sure you do a compression check at minimum on each cylinder. Test ride if possible as well.

I did a compression check on the GTX and got 135/150. One is obviously a little low - the price is what I feel to be pretty good and the condition is good. I think I’m going to pull the trigger on it

I've pulled the head on engines with 130psi compression and there has been visible damage and sometimes... significant. Compression drops for a reason and we like to think it is normal wear when in reality the engine is in failure mode. I buy jet skis to restore. The best ones I've purchased burned 2 tanks of fuel and kaboom. LOL I know because I gave them to my cousin and I ended up doing a total rebuild and restore on both. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back