1996 GTX water leak- Rear exhaust hose questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nportwine

Hi all, just picked up a 96 GTX on what I think was a good deal. Took it out and it ran great, but was taking on a lot of water, got it back on the lift and drained it. When i lowered it, I could see water coming in through what appeared to be the thru hull exhaust port. The hose clamp felt loose, so I took the hose off to inspect it. I believe that this was the problem, but now I cant get the hose re installed for the life of me. I can only get it to slide on about an inch and a half, and looking at the hose that appears to be correct but just doesnt seem like its far enough. Im also having trouble getting any screwdriver in there to tighten it down. Does anyone have any advice to make this easier? And is the hose supposed to only slide on that amount? My intuition tells me it should be flush with the hull when slid onto the fitting but I could be wrong. Thanks in advance!

Hi all, just picked up a 96 GTX on what I think was a good deal. Took it out and it ran great, but was taking on a lot of water, got it back on the lift and drained it. When i lowered it, I could see water coming in through what appeared to be the thru hull exhaust port. The hose clamp felt loose, so I took the hose off to inspect it. I believe that this was the problem, but now I cant get the hose re installed for the life of me. I can only get it to slide on about an inch and a half, and looking at the hose that appears to be correct but just doesnt seem like its far enough. Im also having trouble getting any screwdriver in there to tighten it down. Does anyone have any advice to make this easier? And is the hose supposed to only slide on that amount? My intuition tells me it should be flush with the hull when slid onto the fitting but I could be wrong. Thanks in advance!

If you're referring to the exhaust flange at the very rear, sliding it on about 1/1/2" sounds about right, you're probably bumping up against the cylinder drain fitting, there should be another line that connects there.

It's difficult to reach back there no doubt, you should have that middle piece on top that connects the two seats together out of the way, that helps to dip your entire body down in there to reach far enough back.

If you're referring to the exhaust flange at the very rear, sliding it on about 1/1/2" sounds about right, you're probably bumping up against the cylinder drain fitting, there should be another line that connects there.

It's difficult to reach back there no doubt, you should have that middle piece on top that connects the two seats together out of the way, that helps to dip your entire body down in there to reach far enough back.
Ahh, didnt think about taking the middle piece out. I am hoping tightening this hose down takes care of the issues. I have no idea where else it could be coming from. Did not appear to be flowing in by the carbon ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back