1996 gtx Floor mats

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black67tb

Hello. Can anyone tell me if the Black Tip self adhering floor mats will stick to the floor of my 1996 GTX. The factory floor surface is not smooth in the foot wells. It has a small roughness when manufactured for non slip. Also the only original factory mat was at the rear of the machine. But I see a complete set of mats which includes mats for the foot well advertised on the Black Tip web for the 1996 GTX skis. Has anyone used this complete kit in the foot wells? Would it stick? I have used the kit on my 1997 GTX, but the floor had a smooth surface.
Thanks.

The 1996 and 1997 GTX are the same, even the same color.
It is good to patch the rivet holes with something like the marine bondo from walmart and hit the surface with some sandpaper and a final rinse with acetone before applying the mats. The 1996 mats are the same as the 1997 GTX mats.
Hydroturf is much better than the Black Tip but the Black Tip will be 50% off for black friday. PWC Muscle here will give 15% off for forum members if I remember correctly on the HydtoTurf mats.

But in my 96 GTX there never was factory mats in the foot wells. Just a non slip fiberglass surface (kinds like a grain?)molded into the floor. No rivet holes. The only mat was at the rear behind the seat. That small piece did have rivets.

So if you are saying there are no rivet holes in your foot wells then you are better off. I have two 1992 XP. I installed HydroTurf green mats. They came with the boat when I bought it. I also had rough foot wells but also rivet holes. The HydroTurf Mats That the previous owner bought had no adhesive on them. Just mats. I used JB weld to patch the rivet holes. This did not work well as the forward rivet holes eventually leaked after a few years in the rain / snow / ripped winter cover etc. Recently, I was able to re attache the rubber strip under the fuel tank. This involves brake cleaner / sandpaper prep also rough up the rubber and use a complete layer of contact cement called Goop. I plan to use this same GOOP to put on my second set of floor mats. Smother foot wells would be better for the adhesive backed mats but fiberglass dust from these boats is no fun. Here is what I used.
Amazing GOOP 170011 Marine Adhesive

Yes, the mats will stick to the non slip surface as well.

I'd suggest waiting until black friday to order them as the blacktip mats will be 50% off.

Don't use Goop. Buy the mats with the PSA adhesive already installed. The old way is the use the Red can of Weld Wood contact cement if you don't have the preinstalled adhesive.

Hydroturf is much better than the Black Tip but the Black Tip will be 50% off for black friday. PWC Muscle here will give 15% off for forum members if I remember correctly on the HydtoTurf mats.

Not sure about this year, but last year's black Friday sale, Hydro Turf mats and other HT products were 25% off. I remember because on that day I purchased the blue camo mats w/peel and stick option for the 96' GSX resto project.

Your '9 GTX had the mats up front once upon a time. My first ski was the same model and it had the factory set all the way around. No rivet holes though. Someone pulled up the old mats once the adhesive started to fail and left it bare textured glass. I did the same thing with my '96 cause I wear a wet shoe I really like from my whitewater shenanigans and it really liked the textured glass. Not to mention it was cheap to leave it like that lol But yeah, any set for a GTX from '96 to around '02 or '03 somewhere in there will work / fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back